Hi from the Sunshine Coast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickJ

Reaction score
Just started beer brewing again after about a 8 year break...
Have my own brew little room with sink and storage,Have some of the tools of trade as I also distill...
Have 2 temp STC-1000 fridges and after reading some posts today will change FV's for beer and cider to 32 litre stock pots....
First brew now in bottles is Coopers English Bitter and one in FV is All Inn Brewing FWK..........
SWMBO has ordered a dry low carb cider, so am doing lots of research and will be doing 4 litre trials with Blackrock and other trials with store apple juice....
But my goal is to make "Dark Ale with a Cream Head" just like I had in a UK Whitbread Pub in 1992, Five trips to England and I only remember that one beer (well OK it was 4 pints) ....

MickJ

Welcome Mick,

That must have been quite a beer to be remembered 23 years later! Any idea what it was called?

Matt

But my goal is to make "Dark Ale with a Cream Head" just like I had in a UK Whitbread Pub in 1992, Five trips to England and I only remember that one beer (well OK it was 4 pints) ....

Matt
I have been trying to find a name for the beer by phone calls to England, it might have been Whitbread Mild Ale or Best Bitter at that pub back then the rellos said..................
But with a Google search I found a site on old English Beer, emailed and Ron Pattinson (who has written many beer books) came up with the answer and recipe......
Thanks Mr Google.......

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.nl/2010/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1955-whitbread-xxx.html

So as I am on doing Kits to start with I will be asking for help to see if I can make it from Kit & Bits than if that is near to what I am after have a try at the 1955 recipe ..............

Thanks
MickJ

Nice researching!

Considering the light bittering that that article talks about, I would probably head to the route of extract brewing rather than using kits.

It is honestly just as easy as doing kits and you will get a closer result. I currently do my boils in a standard 5l kitchen pot from Target, albeit rather full!

Cheers, Matt

Latest posts

Back