Hi from Greece!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfragol

Reaction score
Hi there, I have been brewing for the past 5 years.

Found this forum a couple of months ago, I can say it has been extremely helpful. It's really great.

Γειά σου μεγάλε!

Theres a lot of good info here.

Γεια σας παλικάρια,

Thanks for the welcoming.

Homebrewing has been on a rise for the past 5-6 years here in Greece and recently we also founded The Hellenic Homebrewers Association.

http://hellenichomebrewers.gr/#blog

The biggest issue we have is getting people who are not familiar with homebrewing to stop drinking that yellow flavorless piss that they sell at the supermarket.

Anyway, there are a few good microbreweries that have opened up the last couple of years with good beer and a few people are slowly coming around.

Pity that there is no longer a locally owned brewing industry in Greece. As in Australia, everything now seems to be owned by InBevMegaEvilBrewCorp companies.
When I was in my 20s living in Greece on a working holiday in the mid 1970s the local beers such as Fix and Alpha were quite nice, fairly similar to German Pils beers.

I tried a six pack of Mythos recently, nothing like the old style Greek Lagers. :angry:

Hey is Retsina still popular?

Fix and Alpha are still here, but they have been implemented into much bigger companies who try to monopolize the market.

You should listen to the horror stories from beer restaurants who had the "nerve" to serve beers that were not on evil corp's list.

Retsina honestly isn't that popular any more due to that the wine industry is actually in good place right now.

There are a lot of small wineries that bring out top grade products.

I was in Greece 3 months ago and had some Santorini Brewing Company "crazy Donkey IPA" it was really good. The yellow Donkey was also good, might have to try and find some here

nfragol said:
The biggest issue we have is getting people who are not familiar with homebrewing to stop drinking that yellow flavorless piss that they sell at the supermarket.
I didn't know they sell VB in over there, must be killing tourism :lol:

Crazy Donkey IPA is a great beer from a very small company. Basically they dont sell out of Santorini.

They dont have the brewing capacity.

I live in Glyfada Athens.

When I was on Thera I got regularly hammered on some superstrong wine made by an old lady who operated out of a whitewashed stone building that also housed chickens. Bring my own bottle.
I expect they've redeveloped it into a Regency Hyatt resort.

Latest posts

Back