Hi from Canada

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidc

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm making wine and beer from kits for 8 years and I'm brewing all grain for 2 year. I'm doing BIAB cuz it's the cheapest and simplest way to make great beer. I also have a small hop garden where I grow cascade, centenial, brewer's gold, mt hood, magnum, crystal, tettnang, hallertau, liberty, and santiam. Maybe not so small after all.
What I like the most in home brewing is that you can make beers that you can't buy. You want a beer from Peru, not a problem. Someone won best beer in the world, they give the recipe. That's just great!

Last edited:
Welcome David, I take it that with all those hops growing, you most likely live in the proposed Republic of Cascadia :cool:
Best of luck with the independence struggle and happy brewing.. stick around :cheers:

Hi David always good to hear from an international brewer

What beer styles do you like the most ?

With those hops American pales , Kolsch

Some pics of youre hops would be grouse mate there is a thread on here called show us youre hops

Will catcha around cobber

Cobber!....not heard that since i was flea high to a kneehopper

Hi David. I'm new as well and damn jealous of your hop growing capabilities.
That said. I'm sure we will buddy-up to bounce related info once I get this home financed.

Hi David.
Welcome aboard!
You only grow 10 hops in your "little" garden?! [emoji1]
Agree - one of the best things about home brewing, you don't need to wait for the liquor store to stock an obscure style or particular beer, just find a few recipes and have a crack yourself. Often much cheaper as well.
A group of us here in Victoria brewed a Westvleteren12 clone 6 months ago. Regular retail of the real version here translates to ~$37 per stubbie, or ~$850-900 per batch. We cranked it out for ~$40-50 per batch. We still need to wait several months to see if it was successful (Dark Belgian Strongs can take 12+ months to mature properly, apparently), and obviously it's unlikely to be as good as the real thing, but it's a brilliant way to taste a beer most of us haven't tried before.
Anyway, happy brewing!
And always feel free to ask questions [emoji6]

Welcome Mate. I've been to Canada twice. It's definitely my favourite place in the world. And my favourite Canadian beer is definitely Granville Island Winter Ale.
Cheers

I got carried away with the garden. I grew 3 hops last year and added the others last month.
I was planning to brew a Westvleteren12 clone. I have all the ingredients I just need to take the time to do it.
So far i've made a belgian wit (can make enough for friends), the electric pale ale, kern river double ipa, 2 irish stout, some smash to test hops and a kriek clone using this recipe http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=29637&hl=lambic

Thanks for the idea of Granville Island Winter Ale. Just found a recipe and it's on my ToDo list now. Damn you Lowlyf! :D

Thanks for the idea of Granville Island Winter Ale. Just found a recipe and it's on my ToDo list now. Damn you Lowlyf! :D

Mate are you serious!? Can you pm me the link or the brew? I HAVE TO BREW IT!!!

Latest posts

Back