Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi from Canada

Discussion in 'Welcome!' started by davidc, 16/6/17.

1. davidc

Posted 16/6/17
    Hi everyone
    I'm making wine and beer from kits for 8 years and I'm brewing all grain for 2 year. I'm doing BIAB cuz it's the cheapest and simplest way to make great beer. I also have a small hop garden where I grow cascade, centenial, brewer's gold, mt hood, magnum, crystal, tettnang, hallertau, liberty, and santiam. Maybe not so small after all.
    What I like the most in home brewing is that you can make beers that you can't buy. You want a beer from Peru, not a problem. Someone won best beer in the world, they give the recipe. That's just great!

Last edited: 16/6/17
    technobabble66 and mtb like this.
  2. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 16/6/17
    Welcome David, I take it that with all those hops growing, you most likely live in the proposed Republic of Cascadia :cool:
    Best of luck with the independence struggle and happy brewing.. stick around :cheers:

3. rude

Posted 16/6/17
    Hi David always good to hear from an international brewer

What beer styles do you like the most ?

With those hops American pales , Kolsch

Some pics of youre hops would be grouse mate there is a thread on here called show us youre hops

Will catcha around cobber

4. Brewno Marz

Posted 16/6/17
    Cobber!....not heard that since i was flea high to a kneehopper

5. WoopWoopYank

Posted 16/6/17
    Hi David. I'm new as well and damn jealous of your hop growing capabilities.
    That said. I'm sure we will buddy-up to bounce related info once I get this home financed.

6. technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

Posted 17/6/17
    Hi David.
    Welcome aboard!
    You only grow 10 hops in your "little" garden?!
    Agree - one of the best things about home brewing, you don't need to wait for the liquor store to stock an obscure style or particular beer, just find a few recipes and have a crack yourself. Often much cheaper as well.
    A group of us here in Victoria brewed a Westvleteren12 clone 6 months ago. Regular retail of the real version here translates to ~$37 per stubbie, or ~$850-900 per batch. We cranked it out for ~$40-50 per batch. We still need to wait several months to see if it was successful (Dark Belgian Strongs can take 12+ months to mature properly, apparently), and obviously it's unlikely to be as good as the real thing, but it's a brilliant way to taste a beer most of us haven't tried before.
    Anyway, happy brewing!
    And always feel free to ask questions

7. Lowlyf

Posted 17/6/17
    Welcome Mate. I've been to Canada twice. It's definitely my favourite place in the world. And my favourite Canadian beer is definitely Granville Island Winter Ale.
    Cheers

8. davidc

Posted 17/6/17
    I got carried away with the garden. I grew 3 hops last year and added the others last month.
    I was planning to brew a Westvleteren12 clone. I have all the ingredients I just need to take the time to do it.
    So far i've made a belgian wit (can make enough for friends), the electric pale ale, kern river double ipa, 2 irish stout, some smash to test hops and a kriek clone using this recipe http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=29637&hl=lambic

technobabble66 likes this.
  9. davidc

Posted 17/6/17
    Thanks for the idea of Granville Island Winter Ale. Just found a recipe and it's on my ToDo list now. Damn you Lowlyf! :D

10. Lowlyf

Posted 17/6/17
    Mate are you serious!? Can you pm me the link or the brew? I HAVE TO BREW IT!!!

11. davidc

Posted 18/6/17
  12. Lowlyf

Posted 18/6/17
Draft saved Draft deleted