Hi, from a lurking fermenter in Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trhr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just realised I'd been lurking here for the past 5 years (time flies), so I thought it's time to post.

Years ago I'd done some extract kits and about 5 years ago I bought a kegerator off Ross at Craftbrewer and did a few fresh wort kits.
I was basically looking for the easiest way to half decent home brew beer.

I got too busy for the next four or so years and the kegerator became a beer fridge, but recently I've bought a keg off white lies and a couple from pickled pig and had beer on tap at home again. I'm still pretty busy, but I've found out how hard it is to get 19L corny kegs off local brewers, so I may start fermenting some fresh wort kits again (Unless any local Brissy home brewers have an excess of beer I can take off their hands, I'm sure we could work out a trade!)

I've never posted before, as I've found most of the answers are here already and since I don't have a scooby doo how to brew, nothing to add. Just wanted to thank all the long time posters for all the information you have supplied, cheers!

I too understand the time poor factor of it all.. I used to love brewing almost every weekend, alas, with 2 kids under 3 that is no longer possible.. howerver!!

There are clever ways to get what you want done, Ive an array of timers and splitting the brewday over a Friday night and sat morning, I can get 'most' of it all done while Im asleep still so I can get away with about 2 hrs 'hands on' during the cubing / end of boil.

With a 75-100l output, it can keep me going for a goodly amount of time.

Anyway, welcome to the posting side of the board :beer:

Welcome Redman,

It's always nice to know there's another brother-in-brewing out here in the Brisbane area, even if you don't get as much time brewing as you might like. You're right about the wort kits being the most time efficient if not the most price efficient (plus you miss out on the joy of brewing too!). Come along to the next meet up and meet some people. Maybe when you get to know a few of us, something could be worked out. Just keep an eye on the meet-up section.

What part of Brisbane are you in anyway? If you're anywhere near me you would be welcome to swing around for a brewday (or a partial brewday if time is tight) and/or to share a glass or two for a nerdy beer chat.

- Meno

menoetes said:
What part of Brisbane are you in anyway? If you're anywhere near me you would be welcome to swing around for a brewday (or a partial brewday if time is tight) and/or to share a glass or two for a nerdy beer chat.

- Meno

Coodgee said:
Hey guys I'm in greenslopes and would be interested in sharing a few beers and a chat. Where are you guys located?
Hi Meno/Coodgee,
I'm in Auchenflower, just down the road from Milton and the Scratch. A few beers and a chat sounds good.
Meno, I'd be keen to view a brew day, as I'm wondering if I can brew out of a inner city apartment balcony lol.
I go past Oxley everyday on my way to work, so let me know when the next brew day is.

I've sent a pm to you both with my contact details.

Cheers

Redman9 said:
I'd be keen to view a brew day, as I'm wondering if I can brew out of a inner city apartment balcony lol.

I say give it a go

Your neighbors will appreciate the malty goodness

Plant some hops while you're at it

Redman9 said:
Hi Meno/Coodgee,
I'm in Auchenflower, just down the road from Milton and the Scratch. A few beers and a chat sounds good.
Meno, I'd be keen to view a brew day, as I'm wondering if I can brew out of a inner city apartment balcony lol.
I go past Oxley everyday on my way to work, so let me know when the next brew day is.

Cheers

Stove top BIAB is perfect for unit living, as long as you make sure you clean up well afterwards. Doesn't matter the size of your abode, if you don't leave it as you found it, things do not go well.

Redman9 said:
Hi Meno/Coodgee,

Cheers
Hey Redman, I recently moved from acreage where i had a 6 x 9 shed that housed my 3V brewery and related items. I'm now in an apartment in South Bris. Obviously i had to sell my the 3V but with that money i bought myself a grainfather, if you got the funds they are awesome. Alternately and for less coin you could biab with an urn. Also there are a number of other options worth exlporing. Can you brew in an apartment...Absolutely!!

Stovetop biab or if you want to splash out a bit, something like a grainfather or braumeister would suit.

It's what I would do if I had less space.

bigandhairy said:
Hey Redman, I recently moved from acreage where i had a 6 x 9 shed that housed my 3V brewery and related items. I'm now in an apartment in South Bris. Obviously i had to sell my the 3V but with that money i bought myself a grainfather, if you got the funds they are awesome. Alternately and for less coin you could biab with an urn. Also there are a number of other options worth exlporing. Can you brew in an apartment...Absolutely!!
I've just done a couple more fresh wort kits which had some grain steeping and hop boiling/additions.
They are fermenting away and hopefully work out ok.

After a few more FWK, I am considering a Robobrew or a Grainfather as stovetop BIAB seems like it could be a bit of mess
(unless I pimp out a BIAB on a wheeled frame and do it outside?).
Could I come and watch you do a brew day on the Grainfather in your unit one day? It would really help me figure out which way to go.

Cheers

Back