Hi everyone ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQuinny

Reaction score
Nervous first post :bigcheers: ...

I'm a 50 year old VB drinker that has seen the light. I bought my first "kit" about 2 months ago. Whatever was in the kit ... I followed the directions and 23 litres of filth went into the compost bin... :thumbsdown:

So ... much reading on here and massive support from a workmate ... The next brew was a copy of VB.

Partial mash & I learned about liquid yeast ... I was quite surprised, I could actually drink this beer.

I've finished the "Australian Bitter" and the second batch of American Pale, which was a fresh wort ... is just about gone ...

Anyhoos ... That's me ...

Welcome aboard mate ....don't say VB too loud around here all the head shaking will cause a cyclone. Fresh wort kits are a great way to start off as many brewers quit if they cant produce anything drinkable in the first few batches. Are you controlling your fermentation temperatures? are you kegging or bottling?

Nervous first post :bigcheers: ...

I'm a 50 year old VB drinker that has seen the light. I bought my first "kit" about 2 months ago. Whatever was in the kit ... I followed the directions and 23 litres of filth went into the compost bin... :thumbsdown:

So ... much reading on here and massive support from a workmate ... The next brew was a copy of VB.

Partial mash & I learned about liquid yeast ... I was quite surprised, I could actually drink this beer.

I've finished the "Australian Bitter" and the second batch of American Pale, which was a fresh wort ... is just about gone ...

Anyhoos ... That's me ...
What region are you in as there are many great clubs around to help you ? Lots of reading or watch youtube to get all the bases covered. If there are things to remember in all this is Sanitation is critical , temperature control (in mashing steps / sparge temp , fermentation and storage of hops and yeast etc...) and write down everything (esp your times ) so you can find your errors and repeat your successes . We all have thrown out beer so that's just a part of it. Enjoy .

Thanks for the welcome boys ... That'll be the last time you hear me mention VB - just needed to get it out there early ! Last weekend was probably the first time in 20 years I hadn't had a commercially made beverage. I'm loving my first few batches... compared to you blokes, I've got no idea what I'm doing ;)

I'm in Forest Lake QLD so we're just coming out of some pretty hot weather and my fermentation temperatures have been way too high (24 - 26 degrees under the stairs) I'll need to figure out how to fix that ... may get a fridge with a temperature monitor on it.

While I'm here, we just had an air force Globemaster do a fly by at about 500 feet - that was cool.

Enjoy you ANZAC day & don't forget to give a digger one of your favourite beers.

Q

are you kegging or bottling?

Sorry, didn't answer your question... Bottling at this stage, but keen to get into kegging.

Is there a thread on here somewhere on how to post photos? Funny being a noob again. I've been on a 4WD forum for 10 years and I have it sussed over there ... It looks like you can't edit a post either - Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome boys ... That'll be the last time you hear me mention VB - just needed to get it out there early ! Last weekend was probably the first time in 20 years I hadn't had a commercially made beverage. I'm loving my first few batches... compared to you blokes, I've got no idea what I'm doing ;)

I'm in Forest Lake QLD so we're just coming out of some pretty hot weather and my fermentation temperatures have been way too high (24 - 26 degrees under the stairs) I'll need to figure out how to fix that ... may get a fridge with a temperature monitor on it.

While I'm here, we just had an air force Globemaster do a fly by at about 500 feet - that was cool.

Enjoy you ANZAC day & don't forget to give a digger one of your favourite beers.

Q
Not too far from AllInn brewery, they make great wort kits.

The c17 is an impressive sight flying over at a low altitude. I grew up near a RAAF base back when the globemasters predecessor c130H's & E's were rouring through the skys.

Not too far from AllInn brewery, they make great wort kits.

The c17 is an impressive sight flying over at a low altitude. I grew up near a RAAF base back when the globemasters predecessor c130H's & E's were rouring through the skys.

we were on our way out to Cunningham's gap when she came in for landing at Amberley. Flew right over the highway almost right above us. Impressive sight.

Quinny, if you like VB then brewing lager might be your go. You need a fridge for that. But if you can't be arsed we are coming into winter so it's good timing.

we were on our way out to Cunningham's gap when she came in for landing at Amberley. Flew right over the highway almost right above us. Impressive sight.

Quinny, if you like VB then brewing lager might be your go. You need a fridge for that. But if you can't be arsed we are coming into winter so it's good timing.
I don't brew much larger but I did recently do AllInn Bill Murray larger which turned out to be a great drop.
With the cooler weather coming I'm thinking of doing my ales on the counter top (with heat belts and temp control) and using my brew fridge to do some largers. I'm thinking of largering in the keg instead of a secondary.

The word you're looking for is "Lager." Larger means "bigger."

@theQuinny Good luck with your brewing endeavours, we all make some bad ones.

The word you're looking for is "Lager." Larger means "bigger."

Lol didn't pick up on that, probably should try using my brain instead of pressing the predictive text that looks right at a glance

With the pictures mate you have to make sure they are smaller than 2mb just click upload a file . What 4x4 forum are you on I used to be on a few didn't find any of them as friendly or helpful as the guys here. There's also no power hungry moderators here trying to get the rocks off barking orders at people or making up rules as they go along.

We did have but got up one morning and they had all flown the coop. Only one stand out guy and that was warra48, don't know what happened to him.

Not too far from All Inn brewery, they make great wort kits.

I've got a Riptide bottled at the moment. Looking forward to trying that.

What 4x4 forum are you on?

newtriton.net - They don't host photos, so you need something like photobucket and link them that way (was the reason I was confussed).

There's also no power hungry moderators here trying to get the rocks off barking orders at people or making up rules as they go along.

Well, that's a relief :) We had a half dozen mods on NTN, now we're down to one. Mustn't be a very popular job...

Thanks mate.

Ok - let's try this photo thing:

IMAG0370.jpg

Ok - that's much easier :bigcheers:

Haven't seen riptide around looking forward to seeing it on 'what's in the glass'

Picked up a cube of Mutany red IPA today pretty keen to get that one going :)

Back