Hi, back to brewing after breeding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hb-mum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hb- mum
from the inner west in Sydney.
I was the house brewer, just kit brews mostly a few years ago, but gave it up for the last few years, for a host of reasons, but one being in the family way....

gave up the booze while pregnant and feeding.

keen to get brewing again.
first q, the kit has been in storage, will it still be ok? Should I be worried about the inside walls of the tub being a bit scratched up

cheers

I'm not expert by any stretch of the means (first batch hasn't even been finished yet!) but from all the things I've read, scratches our your equipment can harbour nasties. Hard to clean out etc, which is why the recommendation for cleaning equipment is nothing that will scratch the plastic. That's all I can tell ya personally.

Fresh is best really, steeping some grains can help, adding hops can help (I'd say that about kits in general though) but at the end of the day you need to ask is it worth it?

You just can't go past fresh ingredients... The scratches too would worry me.. Enough to not use it? Dunno, would depend on how badly it's scratched..

Good to see you at it again hb-mum… my missus had her first glass of beer last night after 10 months..

Welcome back and grats on the bunting success! May he or she be healthy and happy!

For the sake of $30 or so, I wouldn't risk using a fermenter that is a 'bit scratched up'....

Go straight into adding hops to your kits, using better yeast than the kit yeast and steeping grain! GO GO!

2c.

When you say the "kit" and "tub", I assume you're referring to the fermenter? Mine was sitting at a mate's farm barn exposed to all kinds of crap, probably including mice. I soaked it in sodium percarbonate with boiling water, sat, rinsed and repeated a few times over a week, then no rinse sanitised it. Never had an infection.

Cocko said:
Oops.... you know what you have just done yeah? :ph34r:
Something along the lines of recommending running across a freeway because I've never been hit by a car? haha Seriously though, scratches are something I'd be more concerned about than simply long term storage. I will admit that I often look at the fermenter and think I should really just buy a new one, then that $30 ends up going towards more 3V style bling etc haha

ok cool. looks like I have a bit of reading to do

thanks.

You can pick up cheap fermenters from bunnings for under $20. Depends on the scratches but you could get away with giving it a good soak in nappisan then a good rinse with boiling water then use your sanitiser.

Cheers

Good on you for not drinking whilst preggers.

My missus did the same for all 4 kids.

She's off the wagon again, and because I'm not drinking euromega, she's come straight back in drinking hoppy APAs, and loving it.

Chuck the fermenter, go to bunnings & grab a 30L water drum for 20.

You only need a dropped batch to lose what you'd have saved by keeping the old fermenter.

Back