Hi And Can You Use Too Much Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all,Thought id introduce myself, i have been brewing k and k for only a short time and getting my head around it all, i have found this forum a great help understanding it all.I have one question so far regarding yeast, rereading the how to brew book again and i notice that john rehydrates 2 packets of yeast! I have only added 1 packet of dry yeast to my brews so far and would like to try rehydrated yeast to see the difference. So my question is can i use 2 packets of rehydrated yeast into a 23 litre brew of k and k james squire golden ale? Can you over or under yeast your brew and what are the effects?
CheersBrendan

Hi all,Thought id introduce myself, i have been brewing k and k for only a short time and getting my head around it all, i have found this forum a great help understanding it all.I have one question so far regarding yeast, rereading the how to brew book again and i notice that john rehydrates 2 packets of yeast! I have only added 1 packet of dry yeast to my brews so far and would like to try rehydrated yeast to see the difference. So my question is can i use 2 packets of rehydrated yeast into a 23 litre brew of k and k james squire golden ale? Can you over or under yeast your brew and what are the effects?
CheersBrendan

Basic Brewing Radio (free podcast) experiment re yeast pitching rates. ie. November 12, 2009 - BYO-BBR Yeast Pitching Experiment.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page...wing-radio-2009

Hi, yes you can use too much yeast, but a bit extra is better than a bit less.

QldKev

When you say a packet of yeast, do you mean the one that came under the lid of the kit or the one you buy separately?

The kit yeast is often just 7g and the "separate" one is usually around 11g.

So if you pitch a packet you have bought yourself then it's a lot more than the normal kit quantity. For an ale, the 11g one, rehydrated, is heaps. I'm a liquid yeast snob when it comes to UK style ales, but happily use US-05 for my blonde American style beers when I don't have a liquid yeast equivalent on hand and find that the mighty US-05 will fire up nicely overnight by pitching just one packet with rehydration.
I can't see any advantage in over-pitching this strain, in ales.

However if you get onto doing lagers and pitching at a typical lager temperature such as 11 then one sachet probably isn't going to do it, you would need at least 2 - and this is why many lager brewers grow a big batch of yeast themselves rather than shelling out $$$ for 2 or even 3 packs of yeast.

I note you have read Palmer so know about the benefits of rehydration.

:)

Forget about "packets", how many grams of dried yeast will you be using? Hydrated or not

CheersBrendan

Re "...would like to try rehydrated yeast..." A recent AHB thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=59308&st=0

Thanks for the feedback guys, i wasnt expecting so much info as a newb, i checked and the packet under the lid was 7 g so i went and bought an 11g and it went in dry :( so ill see how it goes
CHEERS

Latest posts

Back