Hi all...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santafejack

Reaction score
Hi all, new to AHB, getting started with a completely new brewing set up in the shed, i hope to start with a coopers European Lager with a #15 brew enhancer and some hops, but still collecting bottles to use, anyone know if i can get them from a brew shop? cheers in advance, andy.

Thankyou carnie, i did a quick search and found about 3 brewshops around here..will give gumtree a shot too. Also found a great starters guide right here in the forums, you blokes are spot on with that because it was just what i was looking for, bottoms up.

I have...inherited a bunch of 750ml long necks from my in laws who used to bottle tomato sauce in em. All screw top fittings...have used them many times with my crown seal bench capper, works a treat.

I have heard they're more susceptible to cracking, usually while capping, so be careful...but I haven't had it happen yet.

Buy two boxes of full coopers, have a barbecue and invite 5 friends. Instant bottle collection begun + fun.

Dont buy bottles from homebrew shops. Biggest waste of money in my purchasing history. You can pick them up feom numerous places for free or nearly free. Keep an eye on the ahb marketplace.
Attend a brew comp and bring a bag and take bottles home. Most end up in the bin.

Hi Andy and welcome to AHB, plenty of information and help to be found here.

You know you can bottle in champaign bottles? They use bigger caps but they're easy to get, look really cool and very strong. You can score them from pubs and restaurants for nix.

Batz

Thankyou all, my "friends" at work disagree with the screw tops but most have labotomies and are crap home brewers, the advice here is what i'm after and you all have helped, thankyou.

I've been bottling in all kinds of bottles for years now. Coopers and Pickaxe tallies are my faves, but lots of craft beer comes in good bottles.

Getting lots that are the same height is handy when it comes to capping time, but not essential.

Good luck!

if i need to buy beer cos i dont have any hommies ready, i go down to dan murphies and try to find beers that aint screwtop so i can add to my collection for bottling. i work through all the cartons that interest me, opening a stubby in each one until i find one thats a crown seal. is this bad and am i the only one that does it???

woody0055 said:
if i need to buy beer cos i dont have any hommies ready, i go down to dan murphies and try to find beers that aint screwtop so i can add to my collection for bottling. i work through all the cartons that interest me, opening a stubby in each one until i find one thats a crown seal. is this bad and am i the only one that does it???
I don't want to get myself banned from the store so I get the wife to do it for me. :lol:

Latest posts

Back