Hi All New To Home Brewing / Need A Little Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holstein

Reaction score
Hi all

Im only new to home brewing it but it is something i have wanted to do for a long time now, So i finally bit the bullet.

i am only currently using a Coopers kit and my first brew came out well (lager that came with the kit)

But

I have since put down my second brew a Coopers Cerveze using the coopers enhancer 2 which it recommends, the problem i am having is the mix looks very very dark.

Im wondering if this is normal or happened to anyone else.

Cheers Holstein

hey welcome to ahb :)

how dark is dark? was the can out of date ? beers generaly look darker in the fermenter than they actually turn out when finished. take a small sample in a clean clear glass and see if it looks any lighter ? unless you boiled the can or the can had some bad trauma befor you bought it or it was way out of date it should end up fairly light/yellow. basicaly heat/burning = darker colours , i have brewed that same recepie befor and from memory it turned out a little darker than carona but no where near what i would call dark, very similar colour to their lager and pale cans . hope this helps mate
cheers nn :)

The extract will look dark because it is a concentrate.

As said above, it usually looks darker in the fermenter too.

welcome to the journey into better beer :)

Your here now...... the rest is unavoidable :super:

The cerveza will be fine, it will look much darker in the fermenter than you would expect but it will come out light and bright.

Give it a week after its finished fermenting before bottling. If yoy can put the fermenter in a fridge for the week.

Leave the bottles 6 weeks before drinking.

Good on you, Holstein. 2012 will be the year you remember for years to come, as you spend thousands of dollars in equipment to make very cheap, top quality beer ! You won't believe me now, but in a year or two, there'll be all manner of pots, pumps, kegs, electronics, software, fridges, sacks of barley, a 5kg stash of hops and countless bits of stainless bling in your shed/spare room/balcony that you can't possibly imagine right now.

Consider this your early warning :lol:

I am 4 days into the same kit, kit yeast as well. It did look dark for the first few days but just checking it now it certainly as lightened a bit.

First thing i learnt about home brewing is patience, something i never had before.

Good luck with all holstein, your new found hobby will be well rewarding.

Latest posts

Back