Hi all, from Zam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zambezi Special

Reaction score
Just a quick introduction.
I'm not an Aussie, neither do I live in Oz.
I'm in Zambia, in the beautiful Zambezi Valley.
I figured I would find a fair bit of info here about brewing in hot climates ;)

I'm just a beginner brewer (all grain) and unfortunately most of my equipment is in storage (bought a bare plot and building a house / setting uo new company), so gotta work real primitive at the moment.
My biggest problems are the availability of materials, hot climate, limited power as I am on solar, and limited knowledge :)
Good thing is that I got unlimited water, but at around 24-28 oC.

Anyway, I'll be reading away and questions will come

Welcome to the forum,
So you're hot and have limited power. number one for brewing quality beers is sanitation, but a close second is temp control, heat belts for cool climates, chillers for warm climates, and modified fridge/freezers for either, all of these solutions require substantial power.
I would suggest in the first instance using Kveik yeasts, there's plenty of variety and many are available dried, so importing and storing isn't as difficult as liquid, also it loves to work hot but will also work cool (just slower) perfect for your climate, and no power required :)

Thanks all!
The Zambezi valley is stunning indeed!

I actually have enough power for a fridge and freezer and will be ablebto run a dedicated fermentation fridge ;)
Got an inkbird controller, got a heating mat as well (winter temp can go down quite a bit)
Its just the electric mash kettle that I am worried about. Time will tell. Got a big enough genny, so it will work anyway ;)
Otherwise it is back to pots and pans.
I think I forgot to mention that I brew all grain - BIAB.

It's going to take some time before I'll be able to get all my equipment at my new place. Which leads to interesting situations, like having a mash kettle here, and a grain mill (all recently purchased) but no malted barley, no hydrometer, refractometer, no starsan, no fermenter and no way to get to it for another couple of months.

I did manage to get my hands on some kveik and am currently playing around making cider :)

Not from Zim unfortunately.
From SA, yes.
Ir's where my malted barley comes from.
But it means waiting for someone to go there by car, and being happy to drive around with my stuff through 2 border posts ;)
I've got some equipment that came from SA, and some from the Netherlands, from the UK and from Germany. Making full use of my luggage allowance and from visitors luggage allowance as well.
But all that is at a stand still now (closed borders, quarantaine etc etc).
I suppose it forces you to become creative: "we'll make a plan"

Latest posts

Back