Hey Jaz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
gday jazman
just wondering how your partial mashes are going.im doing my second one as i type.just waiting for the mash to finish.how have your results been so far and what can i expect.my first partial is still in the secondary then will be racked for one month so have a wait till i can try the results.
im after a sneak preview and your the man jaz who i hope can help me out. please

cheers
big d B)

your catching up too me i have only done two and my third tommorrow with my prem lager/lawnmower neer blooody lagers take too long need to get my other fermentor going. but i have some of my bavairina lager i love it so no more masterbrews i wanna set up for all grain but that maybee in a year but im happy with part mashes i rather do a 3kg mash than a 1kg like i did before as i figure if im going to spend bloody 4 hours doing 3kg and the same with 1 kg then i rather more grain....

also i m going to use lme instead of a hopped can more control over hop favour plus i will learn to doo some figures so i can use ag recipee for a partial .

so big d my czech pils is still in the primary so soon i will rack it off and may do a samual adams boston largr clone then a msb two row lager fo a summer guzzler in my crappy coopers pet bottles

yep full on mash is my aim too jaz but im gonna learn to crawl before i can walk.its a fun journey this brewing caper.both my first 2 partial mashes used a coopers 1.7 kg can of light liquid malt extract. :) .im now outta grain so have to save up for another order but im definetly gonna go the partial mash way on my brews from here on in.its the grouse.

cheers
big d B)

youll need to get a mill bigd and buy 25 kg sacks of pale malt for around $35 my mill was $75.then youll get your malt at half price and itll be freshly cracked (another thing for the wife to winge at a drill winding the mill i use a normal drill its loud and annoying).for a kilo winding by hand will do though.

How'd you get a mill for $75?? Is it a porkert (flour mill ?)

I'm looking at around $180 for a mill :(

Porkerts are around $100 over here so I figure I may aswell pay the extra $80 and get an actual barley mill rather than a flour mill.

Hi Kook,

I have my Barley Crusher Grain Mill - from a mate that was in the US. 99.00US plus 16.50 air freight to my mate who bought it through customs for me.
http://www.barleycrusher.com/

I can send you the e-mails ref talking to them. If you talk to Big D and Ben, then between the three of you you can get the mill for $95.00 USD ea plus 65.00 USD sea freight.
Or with an order for 5 you will get a 10 % discount.

I am sorry - but he could only bring one out with him.

So far i am pleased - but iw ill be staining and varnishing the Base and turning a Red Gum handle - need to bring it upto the Bro Logge Standard.

yeah mate its a flour mill ive made it so the rollers stay open wider.
it works. gives a good crack.i was after a mill in a hurry and thats all i could find.i know others who use the same mill.(marga mulino)
anyway iam building a big one now at the moment only one roller turns on it i have to work a way to turn the other one.

jayse
i will have to investigate the 25kg sack of grain thing.heres an eye opener for you.if i purchase the grain for say $35 the freight by sea (from darwin)which is cheaper than air (no road freight here)it will cost a minimum of $33.so im now up for at least $68.this is one reason at the moment i will go partial as with an order of $100 or more from grumpys i get a bit of grain added and freight is free.

cheers
big d

gday gmk
a good thought about the barley crusher.that would be the one i would buy.theres some good raves about it.
how have you found yours so far?
good or what?

cheers
big d

Big d

I havent used mine yet.
Just got through staining the base ready for a coat or 2 of varnish to seal it all up.
Want to turn a nice red gum handle for it - instead of that cheap tacky pine...

But it will get there - checking it over it looks the goods.

Ken...

GMK, looks like from this month onwards barleycrushers will no longer be shipped directly to australia, as an australian distributor is being set up :)

I havent got the details infront of me at the moment, but I saw it on the craftbrewers list. I think the store was called "northern suburbs brewing". I called them last week and they should have a few in by the end of the month. Pricing hasnt been set yet till they have details re customs. Once they arrive I intend to purchase one :)

I'm going to get a 10gallon rubbermaid in the next few weeks too, and a hot water system element for my HLT (an old fermenter). I'm still not sure what to do about a false bottom and sparging system. I can either just order a SS false bottom and phils sparger from morebeer.com, or try to get my own false bottom fabricated over here and make a sparge system from sprinkler parts.

kook
you dont really need to worry to much about a sparge arm if there 2 inches of water above the grain bed then just stick the hose from the hlt straight in.it works fine and youll find that the top layer will be perfectly clear water.ive been doing this with no problem for 6 months.

bigd
that is a giant price to pay really not worth it, is it.sorry to hear that.
next trip down here chuck everything out the car, including wife and fill it up with grain.

I'm interested in the 25kg bags of grain for $35 as my local brew shop won't give me much of a discount for uncracked grain. I'm up in Brisbane and would appreciate any ideas where I could get the grain from locally or freighted up without the need to buy shares in the truck.

Ta

Greg

Greg,

which shop do you frequent? I am from Brissie too and use Western Suburbs Homebrew. I would have thought Mal there could get you a good deal.

Cheers - Snow.

Snow,

I frequent the Home Beverage Shop in Wynumm, who's been absolutely great and really helpful on all my problems and questions. It was quite a relief to find Lincoln after visiting some of the other HBO's around. Anyway he reckons that the one thing he can't do good deals on is the grains, hence I thought I might have a look around.

Ta

Greg

Back