HERMS + sestos operation build Qs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifting79

Reaction score
Gday I have just purchased a sestos PID from flea bay and a K theromcouple + SSR 40A
to build a temp controller for my HERMS system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320898822151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

as you can imagine I have a few Qs?

should i get a PT100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390558487471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or is the K thermocouple going to be sufficient ?

What I want my controller to do ...

I would like to be able to step mash via my HERMS coil through any range of steps manually

etc after striking at say 52, ramp up to 64 then MO

and am not too interested in the automatic ramping option at this stage until i feel it is nessecary/or until i can operate the PID confidently / perhaps at a later date

My HERMS coil will be in my HLT(sanke Keggle)

Is this going to take to long to ramp to the next step of the mash?
( i see a lot of guys are using Heat Exchangers)

I have seen a lot of wiring diagrams for the PID controller build
does any one know of a basic tutorial for the wiring and possibly the operation of the SESTOS model
I have looked around but am still learning the forum search functions

Cooperville

Pt100 all the way. The K thermocouple sucks for brewing.

It will take a long time with your HLT, and your PID will have to be set up correctly to avoid overshoot.

The picture on the side of the unit does a good job of describing the wiring.

BM do you know if I can set it up to manually step mash ?
If so what settings would this entail?

Do you recommend making a HX for the herms coil?
Just ordered the pt100 from auburn thanks for the heads up on that one

A small HX is obviously ideal. Failing that, if you have a similar volume of water in your HLT as you do your mash, it will take twice as long to ramp each step. If that is acceptable to you, then using your HLT is OK.

I doubt that model PID supports anything other than single setpoint. You'll just have to set a timer on your phone or whatever and manually change the temperature setpoint as you go.

Sweet that's really what I'm after I won't want to leave the process while doing the mash
As it can be cleaning etc while that's going on
I am considering using a longer length of coil and as you say holding as little water as required in the
HLT during the sparge should work I ......hope

Latest posts

Back