Herms Related Questions I Couldn't Find Answers To.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my Herms setup built. The big Herms thread has been of great use, but I have a few other questions.

My mash tun is a converted keggle. I cut the entire top off it, and consequently I don't currently have a lid that will fit. I am still looking, but no luck so far. In a Herms system, do I need a lid? Would it really make a difference? Obviously if I find one I will use it, but if it will make a difference I will try and make something that will fit. I will be mashing inside my shed anyway, so not exposed to the elements so to speak, so heat loss shouldn't be a huge concern.

My other question is that I have bought an additional pt100 probe, and a digital thermometer that will use this probe. Would there be any value in mounting this is the tun? Where would be the best place to mount it, I presume somewhere towards the middle would be best, but I'm open to suggestions on it.

I am in the process of getting my Herms setup built. The big Herms thread has been of great use, but I have a few other questions.

My mash tun is a converted keggle. I cut the entire top off it, and consequently I don't currently have a lid that will fit. I am still looking, but no luck so far. In a Herms system, do I need a lid? Would it really make a difference? Obviously if I find one I will use it, but if it will make a difference I will try and make something that will fit. I will be mashing inside my shed anyway, so not exposed to the elements so to speak, so heat loss shouldn't be a huge concern.

My other question is that I have bought an additional pt100 probe, and a digital thermometer that will use this probe. Would there be any value in mounting this is the tun? Where would be the best place to mount it, I presume somewhere towards the middle would be best, but I'm open to suggestions on it.

no lid required... if you know of the HERMS thread, why not ask the question there?

Best place for reading the temp is on the outlet of the HEX. Its all in the The Dedicated HERMS Problems and Solutions thread you speak of.

Yob

for me I would go with a lid, to assist with the temp stability

I assume this probe is not for temp control, it's just another one you have ?

FOR ME :) I wouldn't put in anywhere near the MLT as you'll just look at it and thing the HERMS isn't doing it's job. My MLT has a dial thermometer in it, from pre-HERMS, and it's never the same as my Mash temp.

I quite liked Kevs idea of the temp out of the MLT but that would just confuse my simple mind too much.

no lid required... if you know of the HERMS thread, why not ask the question there?

Best place for reading the temp is on the outlet of the HEX. Its all in the The Dedicated HERMS Problems and Solutions thread you speak of.

Yob
very good question. I porbably should have. Did i mention I havent had a coffee yet?

I have the pid reading the temperature there, I was just wondering if there was any value in measuring the temperature of the mash as well?

for me I would go with a lid, to assist with the temp stability

I assume this probe is not for temp control, it's just another one you have ?

FOR ME :) I wouldn't put in anywhere near the MLT as you'll just look at it and thing the HERMS isn't doing it's job. My MLT has a dial thermometer in it, from pre-HERMS, and it's never the same as my Mash temp.

I quite liked Kevs idea of the temp out of the MLT but that would just confuse my simple mind too much.

I got a PM from another member with an awesome idea for making a lid, which I will be doing, so that's solved.

You are correct in that this probe isnt for temp control. It will be connected to a thermometer only.

I was considering measuring the exit to the tun, as that would give me an idea of heat loss from it, and where i need to improve it. the more i think about it, the more this makes sense to me.

Any reason I shouldnt?

No reason you should not, as long as your brain can accept that the temperature it will read might be different to that of the HEX/PID. :)
The only very minor issue would be cleaning and sanitation and putting another hole in your MT.

Latest posts

Back