Herms Or Rims Instructions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medoix

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie here and have been reading topics over the past month or so and have now decided to post with a question i hope someone can answer.

At the moment im am doing partial grain brewing on my electric stove top and to be honest it is very painful (takes over an hour to bring 14L to a boil).

I was looking for gas burners on eBay etc and figured i should start to invest in a garage setup and was looking at HERMS and RIMS systems.

My question is.. does anyone know any websites that have a step by step instructions and bill of materials needed to create one of these systems by myself?

I am good with electronics but have no welder etc but am willing to give anything a go really, just looking for a step by step guide....

Even if i start with a frame for 3 pots but only put one burner on there fore now etc and slowly add pieces as i move forward. I would see this as a better option then buying items now and finding there not good for future growth :)

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie here and have been reading topics over the past month or so and have now decided to post with a question i hope someone can answer.

At the moment im am doing partial grain brewing on my electric stove top and to be honest it is very painful (takes over an hour to bring 14L to a boil).

I was looking for gas burners on eBay etc and figured i should start to invest in a garage setup and was looking at HERMS and RIMS systems.

My question is.. does anyone know any websites that have a step by step instructions and bill of materials needed to create one of these systems by myself?

I am good with electronics but have no welder etc but am willing to give anything a go really, just looking for a step by step guide....

Even if i start with a frame for 3 pots but only put one burner on there fore now etc and slowly add pieces as i move forward. I would see this as a better option then buying items now and finding there not good for future growth :)

Herms and rims are part of a brewery but not absolutely necessary.

Before you read anything you should work out what size batches you want to do and at what gravity. This will be governed by pot sizes regardless of what system you plan to use.

There are many ways to do all grain brewing and the simplest or should I say common forms are, Brew in a Bag, 3 vessel brewing, and the new 1 vessel systems that some are building on this forum.

A big factor with the equipment you choose is the amount of space you have and the ability for the brewery to be permanent IE do you rent and may have to move at some time etc, do you have a garage or brewery area, will you need to pack it up to store it and so on.

A Herms or Rims system will give you a lot of flexibility in achieving different results and as you are keen on one of these systems you will need to factor that equipment in as well.
You will need to decide as to wether you will use gas, electric or a combination.
If you want to remain doing partials then you wont need much equipment at all and I personally would forget the Rims/Herms idea for partials of a small size

If I did it again I would read everything I could get my hands on and then decide to get the equipment and build it.
I would do it once and build it the way I want it from the word go.
Attending brew days with others will give you a good insight into what you may need.
I am probably not a lot of help but that is some of the basics and might give you some food for thought.

Cheers

Back