Herms Hx And Pump Sizing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience / issues using a brown pump with a 50' copper coil Hx? I think the pump won't provide enough flow??? Hx is 6mm. What size and length Hx tubing have you had success with?

Diggles

Mate I don't understand your question.

So your copper coil is 50' (Thats 50 foot???)???

Or do you mean 50 cms tall? AS in the coil is 50 cm high? Or diameter of the coil perhaps???

And Hx is 6mm?? So is that your copper tube diameter? I didnt know you could even get copper tubing that small.

Apologies if Ive mis-understood and maybe someone else might catch on.

But compare what you have to the stainless herms coil here which works fine with the brown pump. They have a 3 metre head on them.

Stainless herms coil

That's is about 15m of copper tube isn't it? Bloody long hex. Look up the pressure drop through that length of copper tube with whatever ID your tube is and see if the brown pumps are within the spec required. Factor in the extra head required for pumping from point to point.

That's is about 15m of copper tube isn't it? Bloody long hex. Look up the pressure drop through that length of copper tube with whatever ID your tube is and see if the brown pumps are within the spec required. Factor in the extra head required for pumping from point to point.

Guys,
Apologies, the tube is 3/8 out side diameter, and is 50 foot long. Bought it to give me all the heat exchanging capacity due to the high cold water temp here, but now looking to use it for my herms rig! I can calculate all manner of things, but at this small scale and accuracy level a lot of the thermodynamic equations start to adopt a lot of errors as a %age of the readings obtained.

I can cut the length down, but thought It'd ask the question as experience is everything in my experience.

Diggles

The flow is pretty good, 8L per min max i think and the max head is 3.0m, so it would probably be fine but may have some flow restriction, but the units are cheap enough to get one and test. 15m/50' of copper for a HX is probably a bit much though, with copper the thermal conductivity is real good so you can use a much smaller coil.

I used mine in a fairly flow restricted setup yesterday with a Hoprocket and whirlpool chiller and it did quite well.

The flow is pretty good, 8L per min max i think and the max head is 3.0m, so it would probably be fine but may have some flow restriction, but the units are cheap enough to get one and test. 15m/50' of copper for a HX is probably a bit much though, with copper the thermal conductivity is real good so you can use a much smaller coil.

I used mine in a fairly flow restricted setup yesterday with a Hoprocket and whirlpool chiller and it did quite well.

I've just done a quick and dirty trial and I'm getting 2L per minute exiting the coil, so going to see how it preforms with gas heating....fingers crossed.

Diggles

Back