Herms Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Howdy Brewers
just wanting to make my HERMS coil and would like to know how many coils are required or best suited in an urn with the capacity of around 20litres.
If you have any pics that would be great

Franko

P4210315.JPG

My HERMS coil sits in my HLT. It's stainless and has 12 coils, maybe a bit OTT, but it doesn't have the thermal conductivity of copper, so a few extra is good. the HLT has a PID controlled element that fits in here..

P4210314.JPG

not that it was really needed for this thread, but I just wanted to highlight the quality of the TIG work compared to the bird shit that's on Tony's :p

View attachment 18684

not that it was really needed for this thread, but I just wanted to highlight the quality of the TIG work compared to the bird shit that's on Tony's :p

:D Poor Tony

Any chance of posting a pic of where you have the coil connecting outside the HLT Schooey

Pumpy :)

Umm... :unsure:

Haven't built that bit yet pumpy. I welded two nipples through the wall of the HLT and the coil attaches on the inside with a compression fitting on either and then it gives me a thread on the outer to put my solenoid valves/return line on. Hoping to build the stand this weekend. will start a thread and post some photos along the way.

Umm... :unsure:

Haven't built that bit yet pumpy. I welded two nipples through the wall of the HLT and the coil attaches on the inside with a compression fitting on either and then it gives me a thread on the outer to put my solenoid valves/return line on. Hoping to build the stand this weekend. will start a thread and post some photos along the way.

OKSchooey , that sounds a good way of doing it ,look forward to the progress reports

Pumpy :)

that looks good schooey anyone else got some pics sizes etc

Here's mine, there are about 6 coils. I think I used 6 metres of copper. The urn is a 20 litre zip. I've included a pic of the HERMS return into the tun, one side is wort in and the other has the temp probe screwed into it.

HERMS1.jpg HERMS2.jpg
HERMS3.jpg HERMS4.jpg

Back