Herms Coil Inside A Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my brew rig to a herms setup, I already have the PID, PT100, SSR etc, just need to build the vessel.

I recall reading a thread where someone built it inside the electric jug, but I cant seem to find it.

anyone got a link?

Thats the one!

Dont know how I missed it!
Like this one ? Made from S/S to fit exactly into a electric kettle.Certainly not ghetto @$65.00 but will be much easier to clean and no lead solder.
Just done some Beta testing,not on my site yet but ready to go.

Nev

coil.JPG

Like this one ? Made from S/S to fit exactly into a electric kettle.Certainly not ghetto @$65.00 but will be much easier to clean and no lead solder.

Nev

Very Nice.

Tempting. Also takes out a lot of the hard work!

Nev

How many metres in that Nev ?

Very Nice.

Tempting. Also takes out a lot of the hard work!
Yep thats what I thought no hard work and no green copper in my beer. We have done 100L batch using the kettle and similar coil (copper) and 40L batches with the S/S job. Stainless is just a tad slower ramp rate but thats not by much.
Nev

I thought about that but wondered what the heat transfer/flow rates in stainless would be and "perhaps" it would need to be boiling?

I thought about that but wondered what the heat transfer/flow rates in stainless would be and "perhaps" it would need to be boiling?
wouldnt expect so, probably just take longer to reach temps. If you let the water boil, then you would no doubt massively overshoot your mash temps

No Its all controlled by a proprietary designed unit, which does the PID and sets up the mash profile and operates the pump, all at Beta at the moment.
Just tweaking a few components ATM. Coils were made for the unit. Brewery in a Box.
The water never goes near the boil, I does get warmer just as you ramp up to the next rest.
More on this later. :ph34r:
Nev

I would be interested to know the flow rate and at what temp the kettle needs to be.

Nev, whats the ID of the tube?

tnd

I would be interested to know the flow rate and at what temp the kettle needs to be.

Nev, whats the ID of the tube?

tnd
Ok I will arrange some one with a more scientific mind to answer the flow rates etc. Tube OD is 12mm and the wall thickness is 1-1.2mm, I dont have the callipers handy.
Nev

I've tested one of Nev's coils in a 40L herms batch - with a (roughly) 5 litre/minute flow rate, with a 2200W element going flat out in a 1.7L kettle, there was a maximum 15 degree difference between the water in the kettle and the wort coming out of the tube. It ramped up to the 77 degree mash out temp with no fuss.

This is pretty similar to the results I have with a copper coil - Nev's coil offsets the stainless' heat transfer ability difference by having more turns of coil in a smaller area anyhow.

Sounds like the ducks nuts.

I reckon this could be as revolutionary as BIAB for those who wish to advance into HERMS.

cheers

Darren

Sounds like the ducks nuts.

I reckon this could be as revolutionary as BIAB for those who wish to advance into HERMS.

cheers

Darren
I believe this will be more compact more efficient, easier to use, pretty much a complete brewing system that you can buy complete or design your own unit much like putting together a customised computer on the Dell website. IE one 18B20 sensor for your mash and you can add another to control your HLT. I am hanging up my traditional 3V system after using this brewing system thats how much I like it.
May have to change the name Brewery in a Box = BIAB. :p
Any Ideas on name or what features you would like to add ?
Nev

I believe this will be more compact more efficient, easier to use, pretty much a complete brewing system that you can buy complete or design your own unit much like putting together a customised computer on the Dell website. IE one 18B20 sensor for your mash and you can add another to control your HLT. I am hanging up my traditional 3V system after using this brewing system thats how much I like it.
May have to change the name Brewery in a Box = BIAB. :p
Any Ideas on name or what features you would like to add ?
Nev

Looks great, nice and compact too.
As for a name, why not call it what it is, a HERMS? Or are you talking about selling a complete brewing system, kettle, HLT and all, and are you selling a specially built controller as well?
Noticed a thread about this recently HERMs and was wondering when some enterprising retailer would get around to making and supplying them, good on you.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pricing as I'd like to reduce the size of my HERMS.

Andrew

Back