Herald Sun -vb Cops It In Taste Test.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
VB very bottom in beers survey.

Yet another mega swill article in the Herald Sun today with VB really getting canned by those interviewed. Just goes to show with the stats on sales for VB that those that like it drink a LOT of it.

The online article doesn't have the score box or the comments by the tasters though that say more than the article itself. As usual there is the homebrew dig by one.

Keith, 72
Point Cook

"No such thing as a bad beer, apart from some of my mates homebrew. I usually just choose whatever is cheaper out of Carlton or VB"

Pure Blonde was the worst tasting according to the scores though with 5.2 out of 10 with VB next up at 6. Makes you wonder about the choice of headline then..

Corona came in first at 7.6.......

Lucky we are all mostly craftbrewers......

VB get thier sales because every time I go to a corporate function or wedding the only heavy beer is VB. I've drunk VB when its the only thing going for free. Makes you appretiate good beer better.
Do they include in the sales figures the VB that gets relabelled as Crown Lager or Melbourne Bitter?

Belgian brew Stella Artois was voted the most sophisticated beer
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it! Such a contrast to how this beer is viewed in Britain....

And I think this comment should really make us all stop and think

Bill of Mill Park Posted at 5:07 AM Today
Obviously not surveying the right people..... VB is real beer not the crap others are trying to pass off as beer. If you need to enhance you beer drinking experience by added all type's triple hopped, micro brewed bull crap, properly time to face up to it and admit that you are not realty a beer drinker!

Ahh, the irony. :rolleyes:

VB get thier sales because every time I go to a corporate function or wedding the only heavy beer is VB. I've drunk VB when its the only thing going for free. Makes you appretiate good beer better.
Do they include in the sales figures the VB that gets relabelled as Crown Lager or Melbourne Bitter?
Crown Lager apparently is a slightly maltier version of Fosters Lager.
I know for a fact (from a guy who worked in the filtering room) that MB and VB leave the fermenters as the same beer but are dressed differently with different hops and levels of caramel. MB actually has a bit of hop character up front.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it! Such a contrast to how this beer is viewed in Britain....

I agree, somehow, Stella gets viewed in far to high regard here, I consider it very close to a VB of Europe. bottom shelf stuff. I'm sure many will vehemently disagree, that's okay.

We should go easy on CUB; if it werent for VB & the like, barley would be a lot more expensive :)

In the UK Stella is brewed by the old Whitbread company (taken over by evilmegabrew/Interswill) and has been brewed so since the 1970s and is apparently a poor version of the Belgian variety brewed at Leuven. Like their Fosters is a poor version of our Fosters (if such a thing were possible) and their Heineken.........
I don't mind the real Belgian version of Stella, the Belgian Pilseners aren't in your face hop monsters like some of the Northern German Pils brews and are more related to the likes of Heineken, but very well made nonetheless.

I was once told "on good authority" that the only difference between Crown Lager and Foster's Lager was marketing!

In the UK Stella is brewed by the old Whitbread company (taken over by evilmegabrew/Interswill) and has been brewed so since the 1970s and is apparently a poor version of the Belgian variety brewed at Leuven. Like their Fosters is a poor version of our Fosters (if such a thing were possible) and their Heineken.........
I don't mind the real Belgian version of Stella, the Belgian Pilseners aren't in your face hop monsters like some of the Northern German Pils brews and are more related to the likes of Heineken, but very well made nonetheless.

Stella isn't too bad over in the UK, and I found fosters very different over there than here. It's actually not a bad drop in the UK and quite drinkable.

Stella isn't too bad over in the UK, and I found fosters very different over there than here. It's actually not a bad drop in the UK and quite drinkable.
Yep, nothing wrong with a pint or two of the old WifeBeater! :icon_drunk:

There was a stage a couple of years ago where out of the 3 bottle shops around my friends apartment one stocked Belgium made Stella, one UK Stella and one Australian made Stella.

We bought all three and did blind tests.

We both ended up ranking them Belgium > UK > Aussie. The difference was quite noticeable.

All my friends from the UK (or who have lived there) absolutely refuse to drink Stella and think it is rubbish. However I'm convinced this is just because of it's reputation in the UK as some blind tastings have shown they actually quite enjoy the taste!

Although Fosters in the UK is only 4% ABV I had a few pints and whilst it didn't taste anything like an Australian megaswill it was indeed quenching and drinkable. Maybe they use Maris Otter :lol:

I found something similar in New Zealand. Their megas like Export Gold and Tui, on tap at 4% ABV should taste like gnats pee, but in fact stack up nicely in flavour and clean-ness against the likes of VB or Carlton. Probably in their case, and in the case of the UK Fosters, they aren't pumping 30% sugaz into the brew so the flavour is still there, just not as alcoholic. And definitely not the mouse piss mercaptan twang you get in VB and XXXX.

I was once told "on good authority" that the only difference between Crown Lager and Foster's Lager was marketing!

Kind of.

Crown lager is the Brewmaster's preferred batch of Fosters Lager, so it is the very best Fosters Beer as I understand it. I have heard rumours that there are subtle differences that extend to ingredients such as more malt or that Crown is a blend with Fosters as the base, but have never been able to asertain that one 100%. Would love to have that myth dispelled once and for all as it always had me curious.

But you're right that despite rumours, in essence it is pretty much Fosters of some sort poured into a big willy shaped bottle with a gold sticker on it.

Hopper.

I read that article this morning in the paper but the hard copy version was headlined : New Survey- drinkers prefer some shit beer to other shit beer.

Was it Corona that was associated with being sexy?

Great photo too - 'Suburban bogan A and Suburban bogan B enjoy a beer at McMahons but we forgot to include the beer in the photo'.

God love the HS

I'd go further than that TBird and say that the difference between most of the beers at your local pub is marketing. When I only have a choice of generic largers I tend to drink Tooheys New because its got a picture of a stag on the front and lets face it stages are pretty fecking awesome. I want to be like the stag, so I drink Tooheys New

Happy St Pats day everyone *hic* :icon_cheers:

New Survey- drinkers prefer some shit beer to other shit beer.

I've recently come to the horrible conclusion that Australian mainstream beer is bipartisan. I can find an insidious analogy between The Two Megaswill Giants and western politics that probably will open a can of worms so I won't elucidate further.

You can vote for either beer, but you'll get the same thing. Lessor of two evils and all that.

Oh, and VB is for goat rooters.

[he sips a boh pils with his pinky out]

Genuine question- how much does VB cost? Havent bought beer in a while, and definitely havent bought VB... ever. But i am interested to know what a carton of it costs (on average)?

Genuine question- how much does VB cost? Havent bought beer in a while, and definitely havent bought VB... ever. But i am interested to know what a carton of it costs (on average)?

Boozle says $47 for 24 stubbies! :eek:

Advertised here in Sydney around $35/crtn or $60 for two.