Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peas_and_korn said:
Tangent- yeah, it is a high alcohol beer; I can't remember exactly what the start SG is but assuming the final sg is 1.010 it sill be about 6.2%

Right now I am using the yeast that comes under the lid because I haven't yet started venturing out into the world of experimenting with different yeasts yet. It seems to work well at that temperature; but I'll look into temps for each yeast as I start experimenting.

[post="80926"][/post]​

G'day PnK
I seriously doubt you'll get down to 1.010 for a high(ish) alc brew unless you used a decent yeast starter, aerated the wort and used a fair amount of highly fermentable material (dex/sucrose).
Chances are it's a bog stock ale yeast which just won't make it. If it eventually gets to 1.015 I'd be pretty happy. Could take another week though. :)

Checked and it's going down.

The kit was an ESB kit- said that it's good to bottle at 1010 but I added extra ingredients to give it a higher alcohol volume- I added a kilo of dextrose and a kilo of raw sugar. I think the initial SG was pretty high... I think I did the calculations and assuming a bottling at 1010 it was a content of 6.2%.

But yeah, it's starting to go down now, I measured earlier today and it's somewhere around 1016/1017; so that's a start! I'll measure again sat and sun

I'm running 3 fridges at the moment which is plain stupid although my lagering fridge sits on about 2C and seems to clear the beer up nicely.
My old beer fridge with the tap in the door shat itself after it was roughly transported. I think it sprung a leak and lost all the gas, but it was only big enough for Coke kegs instead of 50L kegs.

I like Ross's idea the best, why buy a fridge when you can score one for free? :)

peas_and_korn said:
Checked and it's going down.

The kit was an ESB kit- said that it's good to bottle at 1010 but I added extra ingredients to give it a higher alcohol volume- I added a kilo of dextrose and a kilo of raw sugar. I think the initial SG was pretty high... I think I did the calculations and assuming a bottling at 1010 it was a content of 6.2%.

But yeah, it's starting to go down now, I measured earlier today and it's somewhere around 1016/1017; so that's a start! I'll measure again sat and sun
[post="81657"][/post]​
Dextrose and table sugar tend to ferment quite quickly, its possible your yeast pigged out on the easy sugar and is maybe running a little out of steam fermenting the last of the malt.

FWIW adding that much sugar to a kit will definitely give you more alcohol but the end result may lack malt. If you find that to be the case, use half and half sugar and dry malt extract.

Back