Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERBOY

Reaction score
Last Sunday night i put a brew down that consisted of:
Morgans Australian Old with 1.5kg's Black Rock DME & MB-89 (CL-80) Hops, start gravity was 1042.
It as been brewing now for a full 8 days at 20 deg. I checked the gravity yesterday it was 1016 and this morning it was abouyt 1015.
My question is has it been fermenting too long and should i bottle now?

I would let it go for another couple off days, its sounds like its almost finished. Then I would "rack" the beer ;)

You don't have to worry about fermenting too long. The yeast can only consume a set amount of sugars that are in your wort. I routinely leave all my ale brews at least 2 weeks (regardless of when they stopped bubbling even if the FG has been reached for a week). That way you can pretty much guarantee all is done, plus some of the yeast starts to settle out. All you need to do after the 2 week wait is bulk prime or bottle prime as usual and bottle.

There will still be heaps of suspended yeast to carbonate your bottles.

The old saying "Relax and have a homebrew".

Cheers, Justin

I agree with BarneyG!! It certainly won't hurt to leave it a couple more days.
FYI it may be that your attenuation is a bit low due to a lack of aeration prior to pitching your yeast. Try to aerate (read: shake bejesus out of...) just before pitching.

Rack to secondary and dry hop with cl80 or cascade.....
Put in the fridge and CC for 2-4 weeks.

I don't mean to offend/argue SteveSA, but I wouldn't try to aerate at this point in time. Rouse the yeast from the bottom, yes, but aerate no. (Well I guess the head space should be mostly CO2 at this point so you wouldn't really be adding any further O2 that isn't already there??). The opportuny to aerate has passed but you may be right from the fact that the attenuation may be down a bit because of low oxygen levels at pitching and so the fermentation has slowed up a little early.

JD

Here's a thought for next time , when I do an AG , after cooling , and when in the fermenter , I airate for 1 1/2-2 hours with a simple aquarium pump and air stone.

Goes without saying that the stone and tube must be sterile

Whole lot was arout $18 , does a top job

Sorry guys this was intended for the skunk fart thread , oh well I sure those looking will find it

Or one of our web captians will move it

Cheers Batz

Justin Posted on Mar 1 2004, 10:08 AM
I don't mean to offend/argue SteveSA, but I wouldn't try to aerate at this point in time. Rouse the yeast from the bottom, yes, but aerate no. (Well I guess the head space should be mostly CO2 at this point so you wouldn't really be adding any further O2 that isn't already there??). The opportuny to aerate has passed but you may be right from the fact that the attenuation may be down a bit because of low oxygen levels at pitching and so the fermentation has slowed up a little early.

JD
No worries or offence at all Justin.
The info was for future use... I wrote "prior to pitching your yeast".

At this stage definitely do not aerate. As you say the opportunity has well and truly passed. Personally, I wouldn't rouse the yeast cake either unless in the most extreme circumstances (ie. the dreaded stuck ferment)

Regards
Steve

I should read better. Mongo not so bright. Sorry Steve, my misreading fault. But yes you are right on both accounts.

JD

Since it is still attenuating (dropping) just let it go a few more days. I estimate your FG to be 1010-1011 so leave it go a few more days

Swirling the fermenter or carefully stirring (without splashing) the yeast cake from the bottom back into the beer should speed up the last of the ferment. Sanitise the brew paddle real well before using it to stir! I would not rack untill the ferment is complete.

And, yup, next time aerate better.

Another tip for stronger ferments, either buy several cans of beer concentrate at once when you know they are fresh, take them home then remove the yeast from under the lid and place them in a fridge, or buy a proper dried yeast from a HBS that keeps its yeast refrigerated 24/7. (or liquid yeast, of course)

Dry yeast loses 20% of its vitality per year when stored at 20C, but only 2% when stored in the fridge. I reckon an Australian summer would knock off 20% all by itself, not leaving much of the piddling 7g yeast left alive

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back