Help with STC 1000 controller wiring help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhay

Reaction score
I'm not very handy with mechanical problems but the new STC 1000 controller wiring diagram has me beat.Can somebody tell me whether I'm better having an electrician visit or take it to an appliance repairer for them to do the wiring? Any assistance would be appreciated

Watch the vid and at the end has very good pictures that you can screen capture of the wiring and colour wires going where. I'll put them here anyway. I made one up last week exactly like this video. Jar car parts were 12 bucks, box, lead holder in things, and a 3 dollar extension lead.

Any muggins can wire this up...... SOBER!

As in the video and pictures below I only used the cooling wiring because heating is not required for me. You may be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture worth 1000 diagrams......

EDIT: oops.....i'll upload them later today when I have time to edit out some screen capture data i don't want on the net that are on the pics...... pics deleted.

I just wired mine up today. I only hooked up the cooling end to start with as its all I'll need for a few months. I have never done electrical work before, but I found it quite easy. I didn't even have wire strippers and I was able to get by with just a knife.

This post and wiring diagram helped me, as it is just for cooling:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-hard-wire-stc-1000-a-385792/
Note: the grey, neutral wire in the diagram is usually blue in Australia.

Also, I went to get Wire Nuts from bunnings and Mr Bunnings man told me the Americans are crazy about Wire Nuts but other things are better. The ones he told me to get are marked: HPM, Heavy Duty Connector, 1 Screw, 6mm hole.

Ok - 2 year old has stopped pulling at my pants long enough to post the edited pic..... helped me visualise it all.

STC1000_wiring_pic.jpg

If this diagram (which is well-proven to be correct and safe) is difficult then I strongly advise you not to wire it yourself. Otherwise - wire it up!

stc_1000_wiringdiagram_resized.jpg

Nick JD said:
If this diagram (which is well-proven to be correct and safe) is difficult then I strongly advise you not to wire it yourself. Otherwise - wire it up!

Yep
That's the one I used and a shitload of others.

Thanks everybody for the help.Seems easy enough especially with all the helpfull diagrams

Just finished wiring up the STC 1000 .Photo attached as I've used a 2 junction boxes for the wiring and only wired up the cooler.Thanks for all that responsed as I would never had constructed it without your help.

ploto said:
Here's my effort in a Jaycar jiffy box. I used a headphone jack for the sensor, though a bnc connection would be better option.
Ohhh. Is that what those little loops on the GPOs are. I have used 100% the same parts as you (actually I have a third manually switched GPO for my stir plate) but mine is about 15,000 times messier than yours.

Well done, mate!

Nick JD said:

My stc is due to show up Friday and I'm having trouble finding an electrician who's not booked out for at least the next 2 weeks, so I,m gonna have a go at it myself. This diagram looks easy enough to follow. Is it reliable? I figure if I get it all done then I can take it to one of the electricians to check it over and I won't take up too much of their time.

Cheers.

That is the diagram I use to wire mine, I've not had any issues.
I have no electrical qualifications, I'd suggest consulting a qualified electrician to check over it before use.

Benn said:
That is the diagram I use to wire mine, I've not had any issues.
I have no electrical qualifications, I'd suggest consulting a qualified electrician to check over it before use.
Thanks mate, I will definitely get an electrician to check it out before using it.

That's the same diagram I used as well, or at least a neater version of it I found somewhere, have had no problems with it either.

Earth connector doesn't need two screws if screw is 80% of tunnel diameter. Most tunnel screw connectors comply with this reg. Certainly doesn't hurt though.

Definitely get an electrician to check it out. Last thing you want to do is burn your brewery down or die.

Stand corrected
Old electrician here & not a licenced contractor
Was always taught 2 screws for earth as what came with connection boxes for ceilings
We always have connectors with single & double at work
Old days they were called blue point connectors with the dark outside
The earth connectors were bare brass no outside insulation
I always tape my connectors but this isnt needed either
Have seen some wiring where the elec has twisted,soldered & taped connections

Thanks for that Camo6

Latest posts

Back