Help With Smoking Mussels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sponge said:
My understanding is that if they're open prior to cooking, throw them.

If they're closed after cooking, throw them.
That's a myth, they open and close to breathe and remaining closed has nothing to do with being spoilt.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fscience%2Farticles%2F2008%2F10%2F29%2F2404364.htm&ei=PkEmUriPM4ewkgXX54DwAw&usg=AFQjCNFOAfOG419UPtFwt9ncdWm8sTsteA&sig2=9yg2Ivr7gvRspK9ABKBxDA&bvm=bv.51495398,d.dGI

I was under the impression that it is not possible to import live mussels, and that all green lipped NZ ones are already cooked, or frozen raw, so that would explain why they were open.

Became addicted to the green lipped mussels on my last NZ trip. Back here, they just don't taste the same, so I prefer to go for the fresh black local ones instead

Tropical_Brews said:
Is it Mussel season right now.? Saw piles of NZ Green Lipped mussels in the local Coles last week. Didn't look too appetising though most of the shells were open. I always thought mussel shells had to be closed to be good until you steamed them.

Got a kilo of the little De Costi live mussels from Woolies and cooked them up last night.

First i steamed them as suggested with a little tabasco, water, cracked pepper, chinese rice wine, and a sliced garlic clove for 1.5 mins till they were just opened.
The soup that was left over from this was out of this world.

Then added dill and parsley and stuck them in some foil on a tray.

smokedmussels1.jpg

Stuck the tray in my cold smoker with some Bourbon soaked dominoes and some apple wood prunings at 37C and smoked for half an hour.

smokedmussels2.jpg

They came up a treat, still small little buggers, but juicy and smokey in just the right proportion.

A bit more dill and some more cracked pepper, i'm going to do them in beer next time before i smoke them. These would be a real party hit. Only problem is they come up cold, so i would probably turn the heat on in the main chamber next time down low and smoke them at 60C or so.

smokedmussels3.jpg

Would make a great BBQ food in the center of a table or small bowls passed around.

Latest posts

Back