Help with Saison recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wil.j

Reaction score
Hi there

I've got a saison recipe bought from a shop:

Ingredients:

Tooheys dry lager 1.7kg
Briess Bavarian wheat malt 1.5kg
25g liberty hop pellets
25g cascade hop pellets
Danstar belle saison yeast

Instructions:

Simmer the wheat malt in 3L of water for five minutes, adding half the liberty hop pellets for the last minute. Then turn off the heat and steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain into fermenter.

Empty lager can into fermenter and stir to disolve

Bring volume to 21 litres with cold water, pitch yeast at 25C

On day five add the remaining half liberty and cascade hop pellets to dry hop (doesn't say how long)

Help!

After a bit of research it looks like I might get better results by increasing the boil volume. I have a 20 litre pot.

Is anyone able to suggest how to rejig the recipe to accommodate a bigger and longer boil?

Thanks!

You don't need to boil much at all, except for any flavour hops additions, just need hot water to dissolve ingredients . Same for make up water, better if treated for chloromines/chlorine though with a campden tab/vit c tab.
Never seen cascade in a saison recipe, but do whatever you like.

1. sanatize fermenter, add water and treat as above,
2. Bring 3L water to a boil, if you want to add flavour hops: add some LME, probably not even the whole can, boil for 5-10 min just for the hops ( as you aren't using any grain no longer neccessary, required, wanted, needed et. al.)
3. turn heat off, add aroma hops, remaining LME and kit goop, stir to dissolve
4. cool in sink to ~35C
5. add to water in fermenter aerating as much as you can

In short, you have very little you need to boil at all.
E: for pedants

Thanks pablo_h, appreciate the advice.

Yeah it's weird that they use cascade. Would it be better to use all the cascade for bittering and save the Styrian Golding for aroma?

Or just use 12g styrian for bittering and 12 for dry hop and discard the cascade?

wil.j said:
Thanks pablo_h, appreciate the advice.

Yeah it's weird that they use cascade. Would it be better to use all the cascade for bittering and save the Styrian Golding for aroma?

Or just use 12g styrian for bittering and 12 for dry hop and discard the cascade?
Whoops meant liberty not styrian.

Oh well, doing this now so will see how it goes

Assuming you like Saison flavour? Otherwise your original plan should make a good Ale with say US-05 yeast.
As for boiling you can totally minimize as to original plan or. Get a cheap 19lt pot from BigW to extend experimentations.
You can chill a pot of wort in a sink full of cold water. (lid on, swirl gently to circulate) been there and done that a few times.
Have fun.

Thanks mate. I do like saison. It gets pretty warm here during the day so figured the saison yeast is my best bet. Will let you know how it goes!

Back