Help with recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillz

Reaction score
Wanted to brew an imperial chocholate stout and have thrown this together in brewfather with no real idea, looking to brew this weekend and have these ingredients on hand.
Will this work?
Will 1 pack of yeast get me there on a small batch?
Should I tweek the percentages or remove ingredients?
Was going to add the cocoa powder to the mash.

Thanks for the help👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_213413_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_213413_Samsung Notes.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks great to me, the only thing I would do would be to double the gypsum, it was always drummed into my head that 50ppm was the minimum amount of calcium. Ingredients are fine, nothing is out of whack but I've never used cocoa powder so I don't know if that amount is fine or not. A brief google gave me this article from BYO: Brewing with chocolate
I think the one packet of yeast will be fine for 10L, even with the high starting gravity. If you have yeast nutrient add that to the boil and you will want to get good aeration/oxygenation in the fermenter for a big beer like that.
Good luck!

Brad covered most of what I would look at, just one point that would concern me.

You are looking for around 37% boil off in 1 hour. That’s a fairly brave prediction. To get that you would be in real danger of scorching/burning the wort; especially at higher gravities. Generally even in a well designed steam heated kettle anything over 20%/hour would be a concern.
If you can control the heat at all, I would push the boil out to 2 hours and go a lot easier on the heat input.

I'm a big fan of Young’s Double Chocolate, have found that the Prestige Cream De Cacao liquor flavour tastes just like the Young’s, being fully soluble you don’t get the head destroying fats (well Lipids) that can make using Chocolate problematic.
Mark

Brad covered most of what I would look at, just one point that would concern me.

You are looking for around 37% boil off in 1 hour. That’s a fairly brave prediction. To get that you would be in real danger of scorching/burning the wort; especially at higher gravities. Generally even in a well designed steam heated kettle anything over 20%/hour would be a concern.
If you can control the heat at all, I would push the boil out to 2 hours and go a lot easier on the heat input.

I'm a big fan of Young’s Double Chocolate, have found that the Prestige Cream De Cacao liquor flavour tastes just like the Young’s, being fully soluble you don’t get the head destroying fats (well Lipids) that can make using Chocolate problematic.
Mark
Fair point, im using a g40 so the boil off is pretty high but I can and will reduce the power level👍

Looks great to me, the only thing I would do would be to double the gypsum, it was always drummed into my head that 50ppm was the minimum amount of calcium. Ingredients are fine, nothing is out of whack but I've never used cocoa powder so I don't know if that amount is fine or not. A brief google gave me this article from BYO: Brewing with chocolate
I think the one packet of yeast will be fine for 10L, even with the high starting gravity. If you have yeast nutrient add that to the boil and you will want to get good aeration/oxygenation in the fermenter for a big beer like that.
Good luck!
Sounds good, I will add more gypsom, can't believe I even got close lol.

New version
Added sugar and bumped the volume by 1 litre as I realised that I wouldn't have enough liquid in the mash, this will give me a mash thickness of 2.8 with no sparge.
Also will have to boil off a good 4.5l to achieve the mash level.
Will add cocoa powder at mash because I want to get that roasted bitter flavour the boil will impart and hopefully the mash filters the powder a bit.

Should I add oats or is it looking pretty good to just go for it?
Also I do have Us05 if that would be better

Latest posts

Back