Help With Networking Win7 To Xp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the simplest way would be to have user and pwords switched off, but hey its worth a try.

An Administrator user with no password is a "special case" for windows - works for some things, completely doesn't work for others - in general, it's fine for local access, but will be denied for remote access... (though that's not completely true in all cases, like most things microsoft)

your administrator account needs to have a password.

yes I would switch the network to Work and enable Advanced File Sharing, including enabling usernames and passwords.

You could also do what Mark suggests and create a seperate user who isnt necessarily an Admin but has rights to access all shares.

You need to give your user access in 'Security' as well as 'Sharing' tab

Any reason you've ignored my advice?

Sorry mate just lost it in all the info I've been reading. Will give that a go also tonight and see if it helps. I will give my Win7 admin account the same user and pword as the XP machine uses to log in and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry mate just lost it in all the info I've been reading. Will give that a go also tonight and see if it helps. I will give my Win7 admin account the same user and pword as the XP machine uses to log in and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

You can do that if you want, or just add an additional user in control panel. That way your computer will boot up the way it currently does.

I know this is usually the easiest way to handle permissions between Windows and Linux machine, setting up a Linux SMB user with the same username/password.

That link basically explains what I have said - disable simple file sharing, add your user account (with a password) you want to access the drive to the 'Security Tab' and the 'Sharing Tab'.

Do as mark suggests and create another user with a password, then add that user to your shares

sudo apt-get remove win7

sudo apt-get install linux

:D

lol sudo apt-get remove --purge win7

back on topic:

your external drive is probably fat32 so no problems with permissions there
on your home network im guessing you aren't worrying too much about security

1) turn off password protected file sharing
2) enable file sharing with devices that use 40- 56-bit encryption
3) right click on drive that you have shared -> properties -> security -> advanced
permissions -> change permissions -> add -> type in 'everyone' minus quotes -> grant whatever security you want (im lazy and just click full control) -> ok
->replace all child... tick box ticked -> click ok
4) now it should work, i know as i just tested it then

cheers, Mike

edit - spelling

How is this brew related? We cant have B Buys through site sponsors on the current threds listing but we can have this shit and constant questions of non related topics.

Truman your probably a good guy and I would enjoy a few brews with you but FFS this is a beer forum! If its not brew related at least have the decency to put it in the off topic forum.

Brad

if you can access folders on the wind 7 machine already all you have to do is share the folders on the other drive you want to use.

just right click the folder and clikc properties and share and set it up. I think you can do the same if you want to share the whole drive but I have never done that.

I know win7 is a bitch for sharing took me a bit of playing around to get it to share with linux seems it only wants to share with win 7 and nothing else unless you want to spend the time to do it.

How is this brew related? We cant have B Buys through site sponsors on the current threds listing but we can have this shit and constant questions of non related topics.

Truman your probably a good guy and I would enjoy a few brews with you but FFS this is a beer forum! If its not brew related at least have the decency to put it in the off topic forum.

Brad
exactly what i was thinking brad

Brad

Sorry mate I thought The Pub was for general chat and off topic posts. That's why I've always posted other non beer related posts here and never been told otherwise. My bad.

We will get an administrator straight onto correcting that ... oh wait, they only cash the big cheques, without doing anything for the forum or the members wellbeing that make it the business community it is today. My bad.

bradsbrew is a big old meanie. :p

Yep perhaps I should get off my milkcrate...I mean soapbox. Is it ok to have in my posession a soap box or should I give that back to Johnson and Johnson?

:lol:

I see no issue with that, Bradley. As long as there are no pointy edges.

Nah... do you think so ? :rolleyes:

And I disagree with your use of the word "sometimes" :lol:
As I already said I've searched this topic quite extensively and tried just about everything suggested here but had no success. I will try some of the suggestions made by those kind enough to help out.

On the win 7 box run gpedit.msc as an admin. under local computer policy expand computer configuration, windows settings, security settings, local policies, security options. Find accounts: limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only and change the setting to disabled.

Back