Help with IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashPaddler

Reaction score
Made a batch of IPA a couple of weeks ago.

O.G 1.072
F.G 1.025
ABV 7.07

IBU 44.7

5.7kg Marris Otter
100g Special Malt
130g Rye malt
200g dark crystal
100g aromatic

20g centennial @ 60
90g cascade whole hops @ 10
90g cascade whole hops @ 5
40 g galaxy dry hop @ 7 days.

Mash 60 min @ 68c
2.5L starter of us-05
temp controlled ferment at 20c

It powered down to 1.025 in about 4 days, and has sat at this since. Should have got to 1.018. yeast has dropped out. Is it ok cold crash and keg or should I rouse and get a couple more points? Just weird, never had a problem with IPAs. First time I have done a 10 minute style IPA though

did you ramp up temps towards the end? This is usually good for those last few points.

Raise temps and give it a gentle stir if you arent in a hurry.. at 1025 I'd be very tempted to try and get it down a bit more

:icon_cheers:

Let's see:

Malt: tot Grist 6230g, Dextrinous (Cara/Crystal) Malts 400g = 6.42%

Mash Temp: 68

Given the above you would expect apparent attenuation to be just on the low side of average for your yeast.

Dry yeast pitching rate required = 16g

US-05 AA% around 75% average, so expect around 72% or FG: 1.019

Raises the questions: Your pitching Rate? Why a starter of dry yeast?

Screwy

I would check your hydrometer, you could keg now as it won't be a bottle bomb but I would wont it down to 1.018/19,

Bottle it for a year and call it a barleywine. :ph34r:

Seriously though it's going to taste like syrup unless you can get it down some more. I don't have any personal experience but I'm lead to believe adding a little sugar (boiled/cooled/etc) to the fermenter can re-awaken the yeast and get things going again. Don't quote me on it though, might want to do some Googling.

To decrease your gravity you can adding some yeast and DME, try to get the yeast back into suspension through agitation, add more fermentables, add more yeast, etc.

rosshorne said:
To decrease your gravity you can adding some yeast and DME, try to get the yeast back into suspension through agitation, add more fermentables, add more yeast, etc.
I would not add DME to degrease the FG. It generally finishes high.
You could try splitting it in half and using a tiny amount of an enzyme with yeast.
You could add a few litres of water boiled with sugar, to get whatever your desired FG is an maintain alc, though dilute everything else a little.
You could re-brew and mash super low and blend the two. I recommend this, because I think twice as much IPA is never a problem.

phew - finally home from work. Thanks to all who have responded. I was a bit worried about vegetable flavourings from dry hopping for too long in a referment.

Ok - yob - agree rouse and raise temps will see if it nudges it down a notch. I usually shake every couple of days so may need to re-pitch but didn't think about the temp.

Screwtop - I put 10g of dry yeast into the starter which ran for 36 hours stepped to 2.5l before chucking it in. I tend to do a starter to be sure of a solid ferment. May re think this strategy now....

Mxd - hydrometer has been solid for the last seven years, maybe the digital thermometer is going out of whack? Which means mash temp could have been over perhaps.

Rosshorne - yep repitch is an option, but was reluctant given I dry hopped already

Midnightbrew - yes, I try for the sweetspot of 26-27 c with the immersion chiller and then splash into the fermenter, usually works a treat and never had a stuck one til now.

Bizier - Dilution down a bit sounds feasible, as the alcohol is a bit out against the ibu at anyrate, noting of course the ratios will move down together. Not confident enough to know what I am doing with your other alternatives to avoid infection along the way.

Will rouse and bump the temps, recheck in the am, repitch and test the thermometer methinks.
Cheers all!!

So the outcome - roused and ramped up temps and got her down to 1.021. Kegged and tried the first glass tonight - smells like freshly picked apricots and tastes like liquid sweet grapefruit. Definitely brewing again, but might drop a little columbus up front to give it a bit more backbone.

Latest posts

Back