Help With Grain Substitutions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need some help with understanding what grains I can use for a USA recipe I am trying to clone. The clone is DIPA.

1. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Am I correct is saying Carahell Malt by Weyermanns is an equivalent substation?
2. Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt This base malt is a 4 EBC. I was wondering if I would better of using a Pilsner Malt, like Weyermanns, instead ale malt up at 6.5 EBC.
http://greatwesternmalting.com/our-products/bulk-malts
3. Honey Malt From what I have read this malt is not available in Australia and the closest we have to it is Melanoidin. Is this correct? It will only be making up 2% of my grain bill.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

That's what I would do in the same position, I think you're spot on with all 3.

Never tried honey malt ofc, but all my previous research has pointed at melanoidin as the closest substitute as well.

GL

1 and 3, I agree

2, I would not go a Weyermann Pilsner malt, I would try a Pale malt. Nothing wrong with Wy Pils, I just think it would show it's character too much for what you want. Maybe something more like BB Pale?

QldKev

Thanks Guys, your help is very much appreciated.

Kev, you have convinced me to go with Weyermann Pale Ale Malt. What you say makes sense.

Cheers

Dave

The Weyermann Pale Ale is a LOT darker than either the pilsner or any other light base malt you are likely to choose, nearly as dark as Vienna.
Not saying I dont love it makes a great Golden Klsch but pale it isnt
Mark
View attachment 57449

Its for a double IPA, so I guess I could get away with a little bit darker colour.

I find Wey's Pale Ale Malt has a weird flavour. Can't quite describe it, but it's not like any other base malt I've used.

okay let me ask another question then.

What would everyone recommend for the base malt for a American DIPA?

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Cheers

Dave

I'd challenge anyone to pick the base malt in a IIPA.

It really doesn't matter that much. Also DIPAs are not "pale" - some of them a really freakin dark (EBC 16-30).

I'd be using an aussie pale ale malt, BB pale or joe white traditional ale are perfectly fine.

I find Wey's Pale Ale Malt has a weird flavour. Can't quite describe it, but it's not like any other base malt I've used.
It is probably like a Cologne Malt (is that the flavour?)
As others have noted, the base malt (within reason I suggest malted pumpkin seeds fail) is screw all in a DIPA
K

okay let me ask another question then.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Cheers

Dave

For any hoppy american style, I like maris otter with a touch of wey munich.

Will be way darker than the malt you are trying to sub but I like a good malt backbone to balance hoppy bitterness.

Depends what you want to do, If you're trying to copy the recipe exactly then I'd stick with the pilsner. Or if you want something maltier, go with a maltier malt!

Thanks again guys.

All your reply's are very much appreciated.

Cheers

Peated is a good sub for smoked?

"Where will I put these two?"

"Oh, just jam them in anywhere."

If u search 'grain comparison' post by myself u should get several grain comparison charts.

All mine are done on either BB Ale/Pale with 1/3 Munich, or a good hit of Perle say at least 50% (Marris otter can be used be drop the % a bit). It will come down to the exact style you are chasing.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back