Help With Gas Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
I am trying to put the finishing touchs to my keg fridge.

Tested the gas the other day, and pressure kept dropping from 300kpa to 220kpa, worked out leaking from fitting attached to gas bottle. Got the fitting machine down to fit properly. Put back on tonight and pressure dropped down from 300kpa to 0kpa.

The BOC fitting (from regulator to gas line) I bought from BOC is an unusual one. I am having some trouble with the gas line staying on the fitting. The nut makes the gas line pop off. (Pics below). Has anyone used this fitting before, and got the gas line to stay on? I am thinking the another option, would be to put the gas line on and clamp the line on without the nut. Hopes this makes sense.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jase

Gas_Fitting_2.jpg

jayse
thats an industrial oxy bottle fitting used with oxy/acet hoses.acet is left hand thread oxy right hand thread
you need a barbed fitting and then you can clamp it with a cobra clamp or hose clamp

hope this helps

cheers
big d

Big d,

Are you saying JASE needs a different fitting??

not necessarily linz.if jase heats the hose up it may slip further up the fitting and then secure with a hose clamp.
the fitting that came with my reg is smaller and barbed.from memory these fittings jase ,s pics show are for industrial gas hose id from memory about 6-8 mm.

Those "squeeze type" compression clamps work well on that small tubing but Big D is right about getting it further onto the barb fitting.
Cheers

Jase

Actually, now I've had a second look those thread type fittings, I dont think they are not suitable for that type of tubing.
I think from memory, where you have got that tube pushed on, if it is a thread and not a true barb then you will have a lot of trouble getting it to seal because the gas will allways escape down the spiral of the thread.
Go and get a fitting with a true barb and use a clamp as was mentioned in the above posts and that will solve your problem.
Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks fellas. I'll go to BOC this arvo, and swap them over.

Cheers,
Jase

Just rang BOC, asked about barbed fittings, the reply was sorry can't help you.

Great. Back to the drawing board.

Jase

Hose and fittings place. You should be able to find somewhere in your area, check the yellow pages. My local one is Brierleys Hose and handling or purple pig, when you go behind the counter and look at the fittings-ooooo-have your cheque book ready because I guarantee your going to start making things just to use some of the parts. (Oh they're not that dear either). Stacks of barbed fittings of every size you can imagine.

The range of fittings is unbelievable, I had no idea parts like that existed. I went in the other day to get about half a dozen brass parts to build another bit of my brewery, I basically knew what I could get from places like bunnings (mine has a terrible range and is expensive as) so worked out what I wanted, turned out I needed only three bits to do the job of what I thought I needed 6 to do because of the range of fittings they had. I'm going back today to get the parts for a counter pressure bottle filler. I'm pretty sure I can build a 3 tap one like morebeers for not a lot of money. I just keep finding things to build :)

Good luck.

Hi Jase,
If your CO2 guage is a proper beer dispensing one then you could get that barbed fitting from Brewcraft or probably from The Country Brewer if you are in Sydney.
As Justin said the barbed fittings are available from anyone like Tube Fitting Sales etc and the range is unbelievable.
Good luck

I think I can get a 1/4" x 1/4" barb fitting from Blackwoods for a couple of dollars. I'll go down at lunchtime and have a look (with reg in hand).

Cheers,
Jase.

Just a quick update.

Got a 1/4" x 3/8" fitting from Tappings. Blackwoods had wrong size. All fixed, will keg probably tomorrow or tuesday.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Jase

Latest posts

Back