Help With First All Grain Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielscott26

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im trying to organise my first all grain BIAB brew. I want to do the Dr Smurtos Golden Ale but I'm unsure of a couple of things.

1-How much water should i start my mash with? Ive looked it up on beer smith and it says 33litres does this sound correct?

2-do i need to adjust the grain bill in any way because I'm doing Biab or can i use the same amounts as the recipe states

Any help you guys can give me for my first attempt at all grain would really be appreciated.

Thanks Daniel

Download brewmate. It's free and a lot more simple than beersmith. Select BIAB and your away!

You will only know your efficiencies after your maiden brew... measure preboil SG and volume, postboil volume, volume into fermenter.

So use the same grain bill as your starting point. If SG is lower than expected or desired use more grain.

I start with around 30L and end up with approx 22L into my cube, but my evaporation is quite low (electric element).

Welcome to AG , prepare you wallet

Hey guys

Im trying to organise my first all grain BIAB brew. I want to do the Dr Smurtos Golden Ale but I'm unsure of a couple of things.

1-How much water should i start my mash with? Ive looked it up on beer smith and it says 33litres does this sound correct?

2-do i need to adjust the grain bill in any way because I'm doing Biab or can i use the same amounts as the recipe states

Any help you guys can give me for my first attempt at all grain would really be appreciated.

Thanks Daniel

1. Sounds about right - you'll fine tune it with future brews
2. just follow the recipe

Sounds good to me too - My BIAB system works around 32-33L in an average beer finishing at 21L into the fermenter.

Great thanks for the fast reply's guys. Il be ordering my grains and hops from craft brewer next week. If there are any other great recipes that i should know feel free to post a link or suggest them for me. Ive learnt so much already from this forum so thanks guys.

Dan, I was in the same position as you about 8 months ago. Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale was my 1st A/G BIAB

I found the 1st brew, while still tasting great, was a big learning experience. I have made a number of adjustments to my system along the way to help improve my process/beer (though they didn't always work) and I find that this is partly what makes All Grain brewing so enjoyable, working out what works for you, putting it into practice but also looking to improve along the way.

One piece of advice I would give is check what your efficiency is set at. I have found if I set mine to 65% I always hit the targets set by Beersmith. I'm sure a few of the blokes on here would say 65% is crap and you can get a much better efficiency rating, but at the moment it works for me and, as stated earlier, part of the learning process is working out what works and trying to improve your system. I'm sure I'll look at doing things differently in the near future which may improve my efficiency rating.

So have fun. I reckon the worst thing that can happen at this stage is you will make beer that tastes better than VB.

Latest posts

Back