Help With Diacetyl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstacey

Reaction score
I have just brewed my first lager after brewing ales for some time.
I fermented at 11degC, which I thought was about right but since learned this is a bit high. I was careful to cool my wort to 11 before pitching the yeast. At the end of primary fermentation I increased the temp to 18degC for 24hours to do a diacetyl rest, then racked to a new fermenter. Now I have been cold conditioning for a week.

I noticed a strange flavour, not butterscotch, not quite buttery either, but it wasn't too good in what was supposed to be a clean lager. So I took the top off the fermentor and got a huge wiff of honey - which I understand is proabably diacetyl in lower concentrations.

Will this go away if I keep lagering for another 3 weeks? Or should I try raising the temp again to see if the residual yeast (not much there now because it has been racked) will eat this up?

Cheers!

What ingredients/yeast did you use, OG and FG?

Hi Adam,
I just used pilsner malt, OG was 1.052.
Cant remember FG but can measure the current gravity again tonight.
Yeast was saflager 34/70.

My understanding is lagering should clear out a lot of improper flavours/aromas. Providing attenuative fermentation is complete it should be fine.

It should dissipate over time. I had a Kolsch that was strong in that honey diacetyl flavour at first but it cleaned up into a sensational beer. It may still be there at the end of lagering. Mine took a little bottle conditioning time to really clear up.

Latest posts

Back