Help With Beersmith 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Is anyone able to help me set up my profile in beersmith 2 for a extract set up? Currently i have a 15L pot and i usually do 13L boils, sometimes use specialty grains. My process goes like this

1. Steep any grains at certain temp/length
2. Add half my malt
3. bring to boil and add first hop addition
4. add next hop addition
5. add whirlfloc/yeast nutrient.
6. add last edition
7 cool down to about 28-34'c within in about 30-45 mins
8. strain into fermentor, top up with 4'c water

With the beersmith equipment set up page i find it terribly confusing trying to set it up for extract use, don't really have the time, money or space at current stage for all grain.

I have set it up like this so far from what i have been able to find on the interwebs

* mash tun volume 15L
* Mash tun weight .300g (its a cheap pot)
* Mash tun specific Heat .22
* Lauter displace 0
* Top up kettle 0
* Boil volume 12.80
* Boil time 60m
* Boil off 1.3
* Cooling shrinkage 0
* Loss to trub and chiller 0
* Top up water 7.5L
* Batch volume 19L
* Fermentor Loss 0

Is this set up ok? I want to be able to use this software as it looks so good, i love how it can keep inventory etc

Anyway thanks for any help anyone can send my way.

I've found that for late extract addition you need to click the "add after boil" or else the IBU calculations get thrown out.

You also might want to include a couple of litres for the losses too.

Thanks for the reply, do you mean changing the boil off to about 3 litres?

Its son confusing why couldnt they make a equipment profile for extract to make it easier, like a new section!

Thanks for the reply, do you mean changing the boil off to about 3 litres?

Its son confusing why couldnt they make a equipment profile for extract to make it easier, like a new section!

Hi.

I actually meant including a trub loss at, say 1-2L, depending on equipment/recipe. The reason this is important is the dilution at the end. If you lose 2L of trub, then dilute by half, you're really losing 4L of hop bitterness and sugar :( . BS factors this in (as far as I understand) for the final IBUs and OG if you include a trub loss component.

Fermenter loss is less important as you're just losing a couple of bottles at the end, rather than changing the specs of the recipe.

Once you use BS a couple of times it becomes fairly straightforward, but yes there are a few indiosyncracies.

Cheers.

Oh so in the trub loss that means the amount of wort that the hops have soaked up which i have strained out and thrown in the bin?

Hot trub precipitates are formed during the boiling of the wort and fall to the bottom of the kettle. Irish Moss, Whirfloc, etc, assist in this precipitation. Also known as "break".
You try to leave the trub and hop debris behind in the kettle. That is your "loss to trub".

...confusing why couldnt they make a equipment profile for extract to make it easier, like a new section!
There are 3 default profiles for extract brewing and another for partial/extract brewing...
Just edit one of those profiles to suit your equipment and process.

Back