Help with a stout recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snails07

Reaction score
I'm brewing a stout with a mate who knows nothing about brewing.
And I know nothing about stouts. What could go wrong?

I've cobbled together this recipe, could someone tell me if this is likely to turn out tasting okay?
It falls within all the style guidelines using Brewers Friend for the recipe.
I know there are many different styles of stouts so I don't really need advice on whether or not it falls into any particular category, I'm just wanting to know if anyone can pick up anything wrong with the ingredients used and the amounts used.

Cheers

Method: BIAB
Style: Foreign Extra Stout
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 14 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 17.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.050 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.21%

IBU: 37.44

SRM: 36.32
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.5 kg American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 85.2%
0.07 kg German - CaraAmber 34 23 1.7%
0.07 kg German - CaraAroma 34 130 1.7%
0.07 kg American - Wheat 38 1.8 1.7%
0.1 kg United Kingdom - Brown 32 65 2.4%
0.1 kg United Kingdom - Chocolate 34 425 2.4%
0.2 kg United Kingdom - Roasted Barley 29 550 4.9%
4.11 kg Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
4 g Columbus Pellet 16.3 Boil 60 min 14.35
4 g Cascade Pellet 6.4 Boil 60 min 5.64
4 g Columbus Pellet 16.3 Boil 45 min 12.53
4 g Cascade Pellet 6.4 Boil 45 min 4.92

Mash Guidelines
14.5 L Temperature 67 C 75 min

Wyeast - London Ale 1028

Hey snails, we can talk about how you have many grains, a US hop bill and a classic British yeast. But hey, it's your recipe mate so go for it. What will make it a lovely tasty beer will be how good your cleaning/sanitation is and your temp control of the ferment. Keep those two important factors as priorities and it will be beaut! So, the only things I would do are change the hops to suit the yeast or change the yeast to suit the hops. Have fun.

Thanks razz, yeah I thought that but I have Columbus and cascade in the freezer so thought I may as well use these.
Am I right in thinking though that the hops are going to be pretty much only used for bittering and there will be little flavour coming through anyway?
So I'm wondering how much this would matter

If you're pretty much just aiming for bittering from the hops, then I wouldn't waste the Cascade on two essentially useless additions. The 45 mins Columbus addition probably won't add anything expect IBUs too. In this case, I'd just go for the 60 min Columbus for your IBUs.
If you're after a bit more flavour from either hop, then I'd up the 60 min addition of the high AA hop (Columbus), scrap the 60 min cascade and both 45 min additions, then move the flavour additions to somewhere between 10-20 mins

razz said:
How are you getting 37 ibu with only 16 grams of hops?
No idea, you'd have to ask the recipe calculator :)

goatchop41 said:
If you're pretty much just aiming for bittering from the hops, then I wouldn't waste the Cascade on two essentially useless additions. The 45 mins Columbus addition probably won't add anything expect IBUs too. In this case, I'd just go for the 60 min Columbus for your IBUs.
If you're after a bit more flavour from either hop, then I'd up the 60 min addition of the high AA hop (Columbus), scrap the 60 min cascade and both 45 min additions, then move the flavour additions to somewhere between 10-20 mins
Thanks, that makes sense. Not sure how much (if any) hop flavour is wanted/needed in a stout.
Think I better go grab myself a few stouts before I try to brew one!!

Depends on if you want an American stout, or traditional English/Irish one. That should dictate the type of hops, and whether you add flavour/aroma hops too

Latest posts

Back