Help. What to do with a Kolsch grain bill, but no Kolsch yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
Hey AHB posse.

Recently I ordered some grain and yeast from one of the site sponsors. My order was processed online, money taken, everything seemed sweet. I get a call the next day to say that Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch) was actually out of stock, what did I want to do?
"Got any other Kolsch yeast", I ask. "No, you could try to make a lager, but it will be cloudy with the yeast", is the reply.
"How about you just don't add the wheat", was my reply. "We've already milled it", came back from the retailer...

So unfortunately for me, I took the Budvar yeast and put the phone down, a little disappointed that I'm now resigned to making my first ever lager... cloudy. Not a trait commonly associated with a proper lager.

BUT... does anyone have any other ideas on what I could make with this grain bill? I could get US05 easily, or use the Budvar lager yeast I have, or just cube away the wort until getting my hands on the illusive Wyeast 2565. Thoughts?

GRAIN BILL (20l batch)
5.3kg German Pilsner (92.2%)
0.25kg German Vienna (4.3%)
0.200kg German Wheat (3.5%)

HOPS (that I was going to add)
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh: 50g (21.1IBU) @ 60mins
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh: 10g (1.5IBU) @ 10mins.

HOPS (that I have at my disposal)
Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Galaxy, Goldings, Hallertauer MF, Simcoe, Styrian Goldings (23g), Summit, UK Fuggle, US Magnum, US Northern Brewer, Warrior (50g).

At the moment I'm leaning towards just making the damn Kolsch as intended, cubing and waiting until I can get the yeast I need - make a lager next weekend with the Budvar yeast. But maybe you have another recipe that would work well with that grain bill?

Thanking you all in advance...

thinking about doing this...

13g Warrior @ 60mins (19.3IBU)
10g Amarillo @ 10mins (3.2IBU)
5g Galaxy @ 10mins (2.8IBU)
15g Amarillo @ 5mins (2.7IBU)
5g Galaxy @ 5mins (1.6IBU)

1g/l mix of Amarillo and Galaxy dry hop.

US05.

I've been making some single hop beers lately with isimple grain bill, neutral yeast, to really see what each variety brings to the table. so you could try that 100% centennial with us05.

I had exactly the same thing happen the other day, ended up driving across town to craftbrewer just to get the kolsch yest, and when when my brew was done and I drained the fermenter I harvested and washed the yeast to ensure I now have a supply, to avoid this happening again.
you might be able to get craft brewer to mail some out?

Plenty of other yeasts can be used for a kolsch. WY1007, Fermentis K-97, even good old US-05 will do a reasonable job. Not sure what the cloudy comment refers to, as makes little sense, so sincerely hope we weren't the sponsor giving that advice...

Cheers Ross

scottc1178 said:
I had exactly the same thing happen the other day, ended up driving across town to craftbrewer just to get the kolsch yest, and when when my brew was done and I drained the fermenter I harvested and washed the yeast to ensure I now have a supply, to avoid this happening again.
you might be able to get craft brewer to mail some out?
I'm going to get into yeast harvesting in the near future.

Spiesy, I have a 2565 sitting in my fridge that I bought from G&G in Dec (It has a Mfr date of 27 Nov 12 on it) that I'm not going to get around to using any time soon. I had big plans for my first Kolsch but got distracted by a bunch of other brew plans that have since arisen.

By the time I get around to using it, it'll probably be back in stock. Do you want to take it off my hands? Either for what I paid, or preferably for a share of the beers once you've finished making them!

I'm in Thornbury if that works for you. PM me if interested.

carniebrew said:
Spiesy, I have a 2565 sitting in my fridge that I bought from G&G in Dec (It has a Mfr date of 27 Nov 12 on it) that I'm not going to get around to using any time soon. I had big plans for my first Kolsch but got distracted by a bunch of other brew plans that have since arisen.

By the time I get around to using it, it'll probably be back in stock. Do you want to take it off my hands? Either for what I paid, or preferably for a share of the beers once you've finished making them!

I'm in Thornbury if that works for you. PM me if interested.
Hey mate. Mighty kind offer... thank you.

Only thing is:
  • I keg
  • I've already adjusted BeerAlchemy inventory to my Warrior/Amarillo/Galaxy recipe - so I think I'll just knock that out.

Exceptionally kind offer though, thanks again.

PS: I am in Reservoir, we're almost neighbours.

I have done a few US05 "Kolsch" brews. They are really nice.

Heard somewhere that 4 Pines Kolsch use US05 too, though not positive.

I had the 4 Pines (bottle) and Mornington (tap) Kolsch's last weekend.

I rated the 4 Pines a lot higher than the Mornington, although wasn't massively keen on the 4 Pines (that doesn't sound too positive for the Mornington). I found the 4 Pines to be "interesting", it was quite enjoyable, but I didn't feel like another one, was happy to move on after that glass.

I like a kolsch that can deliver those sublte apricot etc esters. Being a low hop style I reckon it suits cubing and waiting for the traditional yeast that can deliver those. You've got a pretty aggressive hopping regime for a kolsch and if you are happy to push the hops forward you could probably make do with many other yeasts, because you're not going to notice those esters anyway under all those hops.

ohh and I'm refering to your second hop schedule which is about 30IBUs of USA stuff and US05 - which to me is APA land. Stick with your initial recipe and traditional kolsch yeast if you want a more authentic Kolsch.

I agree with Jimi. It's all about the yeast. I've done Tony's kolsch in many varying forms. It is one of the best brews -
Simple grain bill
93% Wey Pils (don't use boh pils)
5% Wheat
2% Acid

Tettnanger to 20-25 IBU's in one early addition
Mash around 64C
Wyeast 2565

Simply beautiful.

I'd cube and wait for the yeast if I were you .......
cheers
BBB

Is there any chance of getting 200-250 gms medium crystal in there and go for an APA hopping schedule, mate?

jimi said:
ohh and I'm refering to your second hop schedule which is about 30IBUs of USA stuff and US05 - which to me is APA land. Stick with your initial recipe and traditional kolsch yeast if you want a more authentic Kolsch.
Yep, that's not a Kolsch. More a US Golden/Pale Ale... which I've opted for. Similar to JSGA recipe, just a lighter grain bill, slightly more alc% and possibly more bitterness with some late Galaxy (BeerAlchemy doesn't account for no chilling).

jyo said:
Is there any chance of getting 200-250 gms medium crystal in there and go for an APA hopping schedule, mate?
Sadly not, mate... all is well with the world. I'm sure it will be a nice quaffable, American Golden/Pale ale... I will report back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I'll save the Kolsch for another day.

I'd cube it and wait for the yeast or bump the IBU's to 25 and make a Saison if you can source the yeast.
The best one Ive made was 27 IBU and 100% german pils so not much difference

Latest posts

Back