Help Wanted From Birko Urn Owner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
My 40L Birko urn (new model with black plastic lid) has been playing up recently. The boil dry has been cutting in and I've needed to reset regularly duing the boil. So I started sitting the urn on a small piece of wood that permanently pushed the button in so I'd get through a brew. It cut out completely during my last brew and I can't turn it back on. Below are photos after taking off the bottom cover.

urn.jpg

urn1.jpg

It appears that the long black plastic piece that acts as the extension to the reset button could have moved. It's not square. There is what looks like melted plastic near the button. Could the long piece have moved and melted? Does anyone else's have the same thing with their urn? Do other people's urns look the same? I think a call to Birko might be in order but don't want to lug the urn across town if I can avoid it.

More than likely it was cutting out because it was getting too hot. Because you by passed the reset switch it got that hot that the thermal fuse blew which is a safety mechanism.

You will most probably need to get the fuse replaced.

If it is an exposed element, give the element a really good clean and get to as much of the element as you can.

It is important that the heat inside the element gets out into the fluid quickly, so that the element doesnt build up too much heat internally.

If the element is allowed to develop even a slight buildup of residue, then the heat becomes trapped in the element and it trips out.

I had this problem with mine, and thoroughly cleaning the element each time totally eliminates the problem.

It may look clean, but still needs to be done.

BTW my birko has done around 60 brews now no probs.

Cheers
Chris

The whole urn thing seems to be really hit and miss. Some folks have never had an issue, others like myself never had much luck with them.

FWIW, you can make your own 40-60L kettle for around the same price as an urn...

If it is an exposed element, give the element a really good clean and get to as much of the element as you can.

It is important that the heat inside the element gets out into the fluid quickly, so that the element doesnt build up too much heat internally.

If the element is allowed to develop even a slight buildup of residue, then the heat becomes trapped in the element and it trips out.

I had this problem with mine, and thoroughly cleaning the element each time totally eliminates the problem.

It may look clean, but still needs to be done.

BTW my birko has done around 60 brews now no probs.

Cheers
Chris

FWIW, you can make your own 40-60L kettle for around the same price as an urn...

Not all of us want to go to gas though. Ive been lucky that I havent had any issues with my urns. I have solar panels so prefer electric brewing as it doesnt cost me anything.

If the boil dry is cutting out then there has to be a problem somewhere.

JG Thomas sell spare parts for the Birko urns

Spare parts catalogue

Not all of us want to go to gas though. Ive been lucky that I havent had any issues with my urns. I have solar panels so prefer electric brewing as it doesnt cost me anything.

If the boil dry is cutting out then there has to be a problem somewhere.

JG Thomas sell spare parts for the Birko urns

Spare parts catalogue

That's including the electric element :D

My Birko died, an electrician (mates rates) looked at it and the boil dry switch had just collapsed internally so he just by passed it.

Shouldn't cause any problems its a BOIL DRY device. As long as you:

• Never switch it on dry - can happen when you're pissed
  • Always clean the element well to prolong its life
  • Just use as a normal wort boiler and don't try to make jam or use it for boiling heavily soiled nappies or anything weird

You shouldn't have any problems.

I use mine to brew my signature beer 'heavily soiled nappy lager' without any problems....

FWIW it tastes like a cross between VB and new.

Back