Help Wanted..creative Chilling Solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Topic here

Reduced 90%

3072 x 2304 (1.04MB)

Hi all,

I want to make the best possible Cooling system for my AG rig with the gear that I currently own (unless it's not enough).

As you can see in my photo I have an Immersion chiller and Jocker Box and the original MAshmaster Chillout. I also own a multitude of hoses (beer lines, garden hose and silicon for the brew rig), Connectors and other miscellaneous parts.

What would be the best setup to use with this One garden hose (and water supply obviously) and a couple icecream containers full of ice?

Cheers,
Carl

002.JPG

Two quick options I can see...

1 place the immersion inline with the mains water, immerse in ice bath and use the cooler water to chill down the plate chiller.
2 same sort of idea, except put the immersion inline with the plate chiller (ie... run the wort through the plate chiller and then through the coil of copper (immersed in ice bath) and into fermenter)

I have the exact same situation, and am going to try option 1 first, and failing that, whirlpooling back into the boiler until temp is reached.

C&B

Two quick options I can see...

1 place the immersion inline with the mains water, immerse in ice bath and use the cooler water to chill down the plate chiller.
2 same sort of idea, except put the immersion inline with the plate chiller (ie... run the wort through the plate chiller and then through the coil of copper (immersed in ice bath) and into fermenter)

I have the exact same situation, and am going to try option 1 first, and failing that, whirlpooling back into the boiler until temp is reached.

C&B

Yeah I've used the first option although I'm not convinced that the cooler water in the plate chiller makes that much of a difference (others may know more about the efficiecies of heat conversion in the Mashmaster)

The second option was also tried but their were problems in getting the beer to flow (needed to use my March pump). I am also very sceptical about running beer inside the coils as its not easy to get inside and clean (well impossible to see actually HOW clean it is!)

Cheers for the feedback bouncingcastle.

Quite possibly the most under educated answer you will get on this... But from a mechanical point of view:

I would:

Fill your green temprite thingy with ice

Bury your plate chiller in the ice

Run your tap [water] thru plate chiller [in ice] to copper flow chiller [in wort] and back to plate chiller somehow.... and then cycle that liquid...

Sorry I know its not an answer but I thought i would type some stuff and this seemed to be the place to do it!! :icon_drunk:

You will work it out....
:icon_cheers:

I have a miracle box and plate chiller and have been thinking about getting down too lager temps, my thinking is to run through the plate chiller and get it down to the normal 28degrees, run this into a keg and then connect to the miracle box with a bit of ice in it to chill down to round the twelve degree mark. Will be testing this with water first.

Maybe there would be a lot of deadspace in the copper pipes?

I think that it would be better to get the wort chilled with the immersion chiller, and then have a slurry of coolant and ice running through the plate chiller too cool the wort down just a bit more.

But, maybe you could get rid of the plate chiller and, just have a salt water and ice slurry running through the immersion chiller - or maybe have it recirculating through the plate chiller (maybe over kill).

Back