Help using up some hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battlesnake

Reaction score
G'day all

As I'm sipping back a hobgoblin I decided I am making an English ale for my next brew. I have plenty of EKG hops and I would like to use up my left Over hops for the next few brews to save dollars. Currently I have nelson sauvin, citra, Amarillo, galaxy, Czech saaz, hallertau mittlefrueh, simcoe.

I realise I have a good stock pile for an American pale but I'm looking for advice if any of these would compliment my EKG hops.

Thanks and happy Sunday arvo

Just use your EKG for the English ale then use the HM, NS and CS in one brew then simcoe, galaxy, citra and amarillo in another. Heaps of different variations though. If you really want to throw another hop in the english use the simcoe at 90min if you can but 60min is ok and give it the EKG at 10 and 0.

Cheers

i dont have to throw another hop in to the english ale, my understanding of the ekg is that its for flavour and aroma, and it be used early in the boil with success? an all EKG ale?

Can be used for bittering. I personally would use it as a bitering hop but at 30min not 60. Are you using beersmith or brewmate etc.? What english style you aiming for?

Using brew mate, but haven't plugged a recipe in yet. Thinking Maris otter, maybe a little biscuit malt, crystal 60 and a tiny bit of choc malt. I'd be thinkin maybe ringwood yeast?

+1 for all EKG in an English Bitter!

Depending on how much EKG you have, as bradsbrew said add them later (30-45 min) for 25-30 IBU and perhaps a little (0.5g/l) at knock out

Latest posts

Back