Help Tweaking A Basic Wheat Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff_beazley

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at a few wheat beer recipes and to be honest, I've been a bit overwhelemed at all the different variations out there!

So I thought I'd start with this basic recipe from Coopers and tweak it a bit. And that's where I need some advice!

Firstly, is there any specific yeast strains you would substitute? I was thinking a white labs beligian ale yeast (WLP550) would be make a difference?

Would it be worth substituting the dextrose for honey just to give it a bit of character?
Also I was thinking about adding in some spices, so any help here would be appreciated!

Finally, thoughts on adding some hops?

Really appreciate any help I can get on this one.

Cheers,

Jeff

The easiest thing would be to brew it with SAFbrew WB06 from Fermentis. Should be able to get it from your local HBS.

Its hard to know what else to change unless you have brewed the original recipe. Then you will have an idea of what you want to change about it.

I've brewed most of the Coopers recipes and then have modified them in the interests of experimentation. Some work out pretty well, others are a frankenstein blend of flavours.

If there is one thing I have learnt its that wheat beers rock with a liquid yeast.

Best results I have had are smack pack 3068 and wlabs Hefeweizin ale yeast. If you can use a liquid yeast and brew to a constant 19 degrees you will get that awesome german wheat beer style taste.

I would substitute dextrose for liquid or dry wheat malt.

A 0 minute addition or dry hop of Tettanger hops have worked well for me in the past.

Depends on what style beer you are after in particular. All my suggestions are around German style wheat beers but you may be thinking of doing more Belgian style based on ur yeast and use of spices u mentioned above.

I've just put down my first wheat beer myself on Saturday. Below is what I went with after a bit of research and some advice from local HBS.

1.5kg tin TCB Wal's Wheat
500kg liquid wheat extract
500kg honey
12g Hallertau pellets steeped for 10 min and chucked in fermenter
WB-06 yeast

Made up to 22 litres

OG was a lower than expected at 1038, but is now bubbling a way with a nice krausen.

My suggestion would be to lose the dextrose and replace it with dry malt, I would try to get 1kg dry wheat malt and use that with the kit. Reduce the volume to 21l and you'll get a fuller tasting beer around 4.2%.

Yeast is up to you, liquids are gong to give you more variety of flavours but this also calls for consistent temperature control - many people report quite different flavours from the same yeast when brewed at different temps. However there is nothing wrong with WB-06 and it will give you a good solid wheat beer with a distinctive wheat beer taste. By all means use the liquid one if that's what you want to go with, but it would be well worth learning how to split it so you can use it again for your next wheat beer - check out this guide by Tony: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showarticle=192

Hops are generally used for bittering in wheat beers as the main flavours come from the yeast, so I would be inclined to leave late hopping experiments for a future brew. But if you really want to do it then go for it, just err on the conservative side.

Honey could certainly be added if you want, it shouldn't clash with the wheat beer flavours and in many cases will compliment it well. Do a search on here as there are a few recent honey threads where you will find a wide range of opinions on when and how to use it.

Spices, well orange peel and coriander seeds are the usual suspects that people add to wheat beers but this is often when chasing a particular style or trying to clone a certain beer. Again I would suggest researching as there are many different methods and amounts that people use. Personally I wouldn't bother if this is your first wheat beer, especially if you are using a nice yeast, as adding too many flavours from different sources will make it harder for you to work out what is doing what. But again, it's your beer, your choice.

Really useful posts - thanks a lot!

Based on this info, I think I'll replace the dextrose with DWME and use a good quality liquid yeast (thanks for the tip on splitting ploto!).

Just one question - would this mean leaving out the 500g Light Dry Malt too?

I don't think I'll add anything else, just so I can get a feel for what's contributing what.

Cheers.

You could add it if you want the beer to be a little stronger, or use it in place of half the dry wheat extract. DWE is generally around 50% wheat (seems to vary 5% either way depending on manufacturer) so adding a bit more light dry malt won't make a huge difference to the end beer. An alternative to using 1kg of dry wheat would be to use a 1.5kg can of liquid wheat extract, so see what's the most cost effective at your local brew shop.

And if you haven't already found it, 'Ian's Spreadsheet' is a great tool for formulating kit and extract recipes. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry802806

You could add it if you want the beer to be a little stronger, or use it in place of half the dry wheat extract. DWE is generally around 50% wheat (seems to vary 5% either way depending on manufacturer) so adding a bit more light dry malt won't make a huge difference to the end beer. An alternative to using 1kg of dry wheat would be to use a 1.5kg can of liquid wheat extract, so see what's the most cost effective at your local brew shop.

And if you haven't already found it, 'Ian's Spreadsheet' is a great tool for formulating kit and extract recipes. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry802806

Awesome! thanks again!

"An alternative to using 1kg of dry wheat would be to use a 1.5kg can of liquid wheat extract"

+1 for that.

I've just finished drinking a batch I made with a Sparkling Ale kit and 1.5 kg can of Coopers Wheat malt.
Lovely combination. A Wheat kit and a Wheat malt extract can should make a very nice drop, and easy too.
If it ends up too malty for your taste then you can change the recipe next time.

In essence, every single brew is an experiment.

Back