Help! Trouble With Soda Stream Set Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm real new to this kegging business and have made an absolute botch up of my first attempt. I currently have a 19L corny full of chilled beer. I have naturally carbed and am using a soda stream bottle to dispense. This arvo I prepared my lines and went to screw the soda stream canister into the regulator and woosh the contents of the canister ended up squirting out in the atmosphere. I am using a soda stream adapter and a micromatic regulator. It seemed to have leaked from the top of fitting where the regulator screws up. I had both fittings well tightened. There doesnt seem to be a washer or anything at the top of regulator fitting, so I am wondering if I am missing a part. I didnt use any sort of tape as I had the impression this was bad for the gas fittings.
Any suggestions? Im going to have to get a refill and try again.
Cheers
Aches

Mate, I did exactly the same thing a while back and I think I overtightened the adapter to boot. I think I may have cracked the little insert bit in the adapter. After doing it I remember reading up here and I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be some sort of washer. I seem to recall someone posting about using a grolsch washer and cutting it to fit.

I haven't gotten around to getting a new canister or a washer so I'm interested to see what people who know have to say.

I made my own SS Adaptor...AND...YOU MUST HAVE a Nylon CO 2 Washer...
Or they will leak. Get one from H/ware,Nuts n,Bolts or Gas places. Mine cost a $1.10.
Cheers
PJ

Yep should be two washers if it is like mine, nylon on the reg and a rubber O ring between adapter and soda stream.

Shawn

Yep should be two washers if it is like mine, nylon on the reg and a rubber O ring between adapter and soda stream.

Shawn
The nylon one should be right in the regulator....but worth making sure it's in there.
The Soda-stream adapter O-ring has a tendency to be a drama. I swapped out the one I got with mine and replaced it with the 90 cent job from Craftbrewer. All good now.

I also use the yellow "gas" thread tape from the big green shed on both seals too due to previous leaks.

On a side note - The soda stream bottle has been connected to my spare micromatic regulator for months now in this manner - no gas leak.

Another place to watch out for leaks is the QD on your gas line if you get one of the JohnGuest ones that also have a thread (that caught me out once too).

Good luck.

PB

Thanks for your quick replies.
There is definitely a washer already in the adapter. The regulator only has a plastic looking circle on the fitting, it looks like a fixture rather than a washer though. I will see what I can rustle up tomorrow but FFS surely the people who sold the kit should have supplied everything needed. Im certainly no expert. Another quick question: What does a Co2 washer look like, my hardware store is .......... well not good at knowing what things look like, or how much they cost or what they are used for.
Thanks again
aches

Thanks Pocket beers i will also see if I can find some tape. I didnt know that such a creature existed.
Cheers

If you go to a gas place they will sell you a CO2 Adaptor washer..
A H/Ware will sell you a 1/2 Nylon washer ..A plumbing supplies will do the same.
1/2 In Nylon washer is what you want ....From wherever .....I would not use Rubber
Cheers
PJ

Back