Help - Stalled At 1020 And Run Out Of Options?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Giant

Reaction score
Howdy fellow brewers
Got a fat yak clone that I've done several times but this time it's stuck at 1020.
Recipe is coopers international IPA, 1.5kg liquid pale malt, 500g light dry malt and NS and cascade hops. Used 2 kit yeasts and yeast nutrient at 18.
Done this many times og 1054 fg 1012 every time. Both with kit yeast. And us05.
Been 2 weeks, fg was 1020 after day 9 which is unusual as its normally 1012 by then. So added yeast nutrient to kick start it. Got nothing after 48 hours so added another kit yeast I had lying around.
48 hours again and still 1020 maybe pushing 1018. Tested hydrometer in water and no problems there.
Any more ideas/solutions?
I dry hopped on day 9 so starting to worry I might get some grassiness if I don't keg soon but 1020 is to high for me.
Taste wise it doesn't taste overally sweet so not sure what is going on. Had a hefe stall at 1016 and that was much sweeter.
Cheers for the help.
Steve

How are you measuring the gravity, could crap also be in the sample making it read higher?

You pitched at 18c, what temp is it at now.

edit: I see in your profile you are in Brissy, shouldn't be so cold to stall the ferment?
Just checked the forecast for here, 17c tonight.. I'm going to freeze

QldKev

Howdy fellow brewers
Got a fat yak clone that I've done several times but this time it's stuck at 1020.
Recipe is coopers international IPA, 1.5kg liquid pale malt, 500g light dry malt and NS and cascade hops. Used 2 kit yeasts and yeast nutrient at 18.
Done this many times og 1054 fg 1012 every time. Both with kit yeast. And us05.
Been 2 weeks, fg was 1020 after day 9 which is unusual as its normally 1012 by then. So added yeast nutrient to kick start it. Got nothing after 48 hours so added another kit yeast I had lying around.
48 hours again and still 1020 maybe pushing 1018. Tested hydrometer in water and no problems there.
Any more ideas/solutions?
I dry hopped on day 9 so starting to worry I might get some grassiness if I don't keg soon but 1020 is to high for me.
Taste wise it doesn't taste overally sweet so not sure what is going on. Had a hefe stall at 1016 and that was much sweeter.
Cheers for the help.
Steve

Sometimes you get an uneven mix in the fermenter and you get a higher concentration of unfermented sugars at the tap. When this happens to me, I carefully extract a sample from the top using a turkey baster (got one at Coles for $3).

If that's not the case, try stirring the flocced yeast back into suspension. With a 20L batch it's pretty easy to do without opening the fermenter by just swirling it around (avoid splashing). If your sanitation is fine, a big spoon will do the trick. Consider raising the temperature by a couple of C to get it going.

First check your equipment (ie hydrometer and/or refrac)

If using a refrac, make sure you have compensated for the presence of alcohol. If using a hdrometer, make sure it is very close to reading 1000 in water (which you've done). Also discard the first part of the sample and take a second reading as suggested above.

Then read this and try the steps recommended, one by one: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showarticle=130

I just had 2 AG stouts sit at 1030 ish for longer than they should*. Racked both to a fermenter and back to the cube they were in (so keeping all the yeast cake) and one day later, both have dropped 10 points each.

* ie: one was sitting there for close to two weeks, the other just over a week. Believe the '3 days and she's right to go' shiznit and I'd be picking glass out of my cats' eyes quicker than you could say 'don't bottle that shit and leave it anywhere near your cats'.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a temp control fridge so temp has been constant at 18.

I have a hydrometer and all readings I have taken 2 sets of samples so anything stuck in the tap shouldn't have any effect.

I've taken so many samples that my batch has gone from 21l to 19.5! Haha

Think I may up the temp to 20 give it a swirl and as suggestion above take a reading from the top in another 24 hours. If nothing keg it and drink it or rack it to another fermenter. Taste very similar to past batches so who knows.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a temp control fridge so temp has been constant at 18.

I have a hydrometer and all readings I have taken 2 sets of samples so anything stuck in the tap shouldn't have any effect.

I've taken so many samples that my batch has gone from 21l to 19.5! Haha

Think I may up the temp to 20 give it a swirl and as suggestion above take a reading from the top in another 24 hours. If nothing keg it and drink it or rack it to another fermenter. Taste very similar to past batches so who knows.

Rack it first. Fast ferment test. Active starter.

Did you read the article?

Thanks manticle. Read the article just didn't have time to put it into action.

The swirling and upping to 20 did nothing in the last 24 hrs so will put ur article into action

Cheers

Cool.

Even though kegging means no chance of bottle bombs, there are other issues with kegging green beer (or packaging green beer) that will impact negatively on flavour.

Back