Help - so I accidently got detergent in the pre-boil wort....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
First brew in two years and muppet here forgot to hot rinse the bowl I use for squeezing and sparging my grain bag and managed to tip the sparge water complete with trace elements of detergent from the bowl into my kettle. This resulted in some soapy bubbles on the surface which I've skimmed off (doubt that will make any difference at all but it makes me feel better).

I have no idea how much detergent went in, the bowl was used for washing something about 3 months ago and obviously wasn't rinsed properly.

So can anyone help advise how badly this will impact the final beer? It's current coming to the boil and I don't want to waste the yeast, hops and time only to have terrible beer. On the other hand this is the only chance I have to get a beer on before Christmas.

It tastes ok straight out the kettle if that helps :)

Thanks

Zarniwoop

So -
the bowl was used for washing something about 3 months ago and obviously wasn't rinsed properly.
I wouldn't worry about it. In future though, *never* use detergent for washing any of your brewing equipment, use something like sodium perc.

So - I wouldn't worry about it. In future though, *never* use detergent for washing any of your brewing equipment, use something like sodium perc.
Ya. I'm a strict starsan man when brewing, the bowl was grabbed for a non brewing issue.

So - I wouldn't worry about it. In future though, *never* use detergent for washing any of your brewing equipment, use something like sodium perc.
Never use a detergent?? The reality is that most formulated brewery cleaning products such as PBW and no-rinse sanitisers include a detergent to make them work better.

Never use a detergent?? The reality is that most formulated brewery cleaning products such as PBW and no-rinse sanitisers include a detergent to make them work better.
I'm thinking @pnorkle meant dishwashing liquid.
It's true most cleaning solutions include 1 or more surfactants to act as a wetting agent and/or emulsifier and also chelators. But the ones used are selected to be easily rinsed away.
Most dishwashing or laundry cleaners also have scents and many other additions you'd want to keep away from your precious wort.

Thanks @altone - ah yeah.. easy to interchange detergent & dishwashing liquid, as I guess in everyday English, the two are commonly interchanged. I was indeed referring to the latter.. or Truck Wash, for that matter...

I'm thinking @pnorkle meant dishwashing liquid.
It's true most cleaning solutions include 1 or more surfactants to act as a wetting agent and/or emulsifier and also chelators. But the ones used are selected to be easily rinsed away.
Most dishwashing or laundry cleaners also have scents and many other additions you'd want to keep away from your precious wort.

I understand this may be the case, just trying to keep the record accurate. BTW when cleaning I always add a couple of drop of dishwashing detergent to my homemade PBW and then rinse well and haven't tasted any remnants in my beer.

I understand this may be the case, just trying to keep the record accurate. BTW when cleaning I always add a couple of drop of dishwashing detergent to my homemade PBW and then rinse well and haven't tasted any remnants in my beer.

Yep it's a pretty grey science most of us are practicing.
Does your homemade PBW not contain a surfactant like EDTA or a bit of nappywash ?

Yep it's a pretty grey science most of us are practicing.
Does your homemade PBW not contain a surfactant like EDTA or a bit of nappywash ?
My homemade PBW is 70% percarbonate and 30% metasilicate. EDTA is not a surfactant but a chelator to reduce calcium scaling at the high cleaning pH. I haven't found a cheap source of EDTA or found a powder surfactant. Luckily Melbourne water has low calcium and a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent does the job.

My homemade PBW is 70% percarbonate and 30% metasilicate. EDTA is not a surfactant but a chelator to reduce calcium scaling at the high cleaning pH. I haven't found a cheap source of EDTA or found a powder surfactant. Luckily Melbourne water has low calcium and a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent does the job.
You're absolutely right - too many beers before posting :)
I used Sodium dodecyl sulphate as a surfactant in the last lot I made up.
Many chemical and cleaning supplies companies sell both that and the EDTA. but don't know about price.
I got mine from a place that's since closed. Too many cheap deals for cash I think :)

Back