Help: Refractometer And Hydrometer Giving Different Readins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popmedium

Reaction score
Hello gents and ladygents!

Wondering if anyone has had issues like this before. I just got my first refractometer in the mail. I calibrated it using boiled water and tested this calibration with my hydrometer. refraftometer was a little out so I adjusted it to 1.000, the same as the hydrometer was reading for the water.

Then I measure a Pale Ale I just bottled. Refractometer says 1.030 and I freak out a little so I measure it with the hydrometer and it reads 1.016.

No big deal I figure I must have calibrated my refractometer wrong. I know my temps would have little effect (Pale Ale is at 24C and boiled water had cooled to about the same).

So I recalibrate with the same water and they both register the same thing - 1.000-1.001.

I test the beer again and I get the same readings with both devices - 1.030 and 1.017.

I decided to do some experiments:

I mixed some soy sauce with some water to measure salinity and both devices read about 1.007

I mixed up some table sugar with some water and both devices read the same - 1.030

So far I've noticed the refractometer hasn't registered anything over 1.030 so I wonder if it's broken and won't go any further. I top up the sugar water and I get a reading of 1.110 on both devices.

I try the beer again and I get the same results as before.

So my question for the knowledgable folks out there - why the f* is the beer the only liquid that registers different readings between the refractometer and the hydrometer? And why is there a difference at all?

Perplexed and I'm hoping someone can help me out...

Joel

Do a search using the google search above - you'll get a lot on this.

Basically, once you get alcohol in the solution you need to use a calculator to adjust your refrac reading. You will need your original gravity to do this.

Here's a site I have used a few times - http://brew.stderr.net/refractometer.html

refactometers through fermenation need to have have a correction done, in beersmith there is a tool to do it, otherise try this

Ahhh! Thanks a heap Parks. Sorry, I usually do a search but I couldn't figure out what I'd be searching for - "Refract sucks help", "I don't know how to use my tool".

Thanks for the help out!

Thanks mxd! And I just found a calculator in Beer Alchemy Touch to help me with this.

Again, thanks for the quick reply :)

I made this same mistake yesterday, I thought my ringwood ale yeast was stuck at 1.035 and was stressing for like 10mins. I then remembered I had to use a calculator....I've had my refractor for like 4 months also I just plain forgot.

I calibrated it using boiled water and tested this calibration with my hydrometer.

You should use distilled water, not boiled water. Should be able to get distilled water from the supermarket or hardware store.

Back