Help - ready to rack, but dry hopping has clogged the tap. Fixes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walshy25

Reaction score
I'm using a regular plastic fermenter brewing a NEIPA with 150gms of dry hops and when checking a sample for flavour and sg readings yesterday found only a few drops are coming out of the tap post fermentation. Rookie error of not using a hop bag :(

I was chasing tips on resolving this without introducing too much oxygen pre bottling.

I'm cold crashing at present, hoping to recheck again later today and tomorrow to see if that has assisted the settling of solids. If that doesn't work, any thoughts on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance

If you can’t unblock it use a siphon for this brew. If you don’t have anything to hand clear vinyl tube from Bunnings will do the job.

Or if the fermenter has a lid with o ring you can bung up the airlock hole and tip the fermenter gently on its side and replace the tap. Had to do that once when I had a tap leaking after pitching yeast.

My fermenter doesn't have a tap - I use a jiggle siphon. It takes a bit to get the knack of it (use longish forceful strokes, while holding the tube slightly up from horizontal until it's nearly full) but it works well and is easier to clean than a tap. If the trick with the wedge fails see if you can pick one up from a local homebrew shop.
If you can't get a siphon jiggle in time (or you find it too frustrating to use) then just pvc or silicone tube works. Fill with water to prime and discard the first little bit once the flow starts.
Remember you can clog a siphon with hops too...

If you can’t unblock it use a siphon for this brew. If you don’t have anything to hand clear vinyl tube from Bunnings will do the job.

Or if the fermenter has a lid with o ring you can bung up the airlock hole and tip the fermenter gently on its side and replace the tap. Had to do that once when I had a tap leaking after pitching yeast.
Great tips thank you

My fermenter doesn't have a tap - I use a jiggle siphon. It takes a bit to get the knack of it (use longish forceful strokes, while holding the tube slightly up from horizontal until it's nearly full) but it works well and is easier to clean than a tap. If the trick with the wedge fails see if you can pick one up from a local homebrew shop.
If you can't get a siphon jiggle in time (or you find it too frustrating to use) then just pvc or silicone tube works. Fill with water to prime and discard the first little bit once the flow starts.
Remember you can clog a siphon with hops too...
Good idea thank you

Latest posts

Back