Help Please, What Syle Is My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Hey all, just after a little guidance from someone hopefully with the knowledge required.

After reading through the style guidelines from AABC I find myself a little confused at to what 'style' some of my brews would be.

I dont want to enter them in comps but I would be interested to know what I am actually brewing...the ingerdients are..
Batch 13 litres

Pilsener 1kg
Vienna 1kg
Munich 1kg
Carapils 150gm

Mash at 66c 60min
Boil
POR 10g 60 min'
Super Alpha 10g 20 min
Super Alpha 5gm 5 min

saflager s-23 pitch at 18c

Fermented at 15c

OG 1044
FG 1007
EBC- 12-13
IBU 29

any help would be great

what is super alpha like late in the boil? I don't know what style it is, some kind of munich vienna lager?

dunno but your OG is woeful for 3kg+ in 13L, is your efficiency really that bad or is it a brewing software blunder?

Looks like an Oktoberfest or Bock but your gravity is a little low for style, plus you wouldn't normally late hop either of these styles. Just a bittering addition.

dunno but your OG is woeful for 3kg+ in 13L, is your efficiency really that bad or is it a brewing software blunder?

efficiency was low, I think I boiled a little too hard, had probably 30% evap.
plus BIAB so that doesnt help either.

If you boiled too hard and had 30% evap. that would result in a more concentrated wort with a higher OG not a lower.

What was your pre-boil gravity and pre-boil batch size?

Cheers

Don't understand what you're saying here. Do you?

For everything but the biggest of beer styles, a respectable efficiency can easily and repeatedly be achieved with BIAB. The consistent 'on-target' figures of a typical BIAB would be on par with many 3-vessel brewers. Don't dismiss the method due to other shortcomings in your brewday (or...maybe your calculations)

An Aussie pale ale? Super Alpha = high alpha POR, yeah?

Batch was meant to be 15litres....brewmate..set for BIAB, was pretty close to other target numbers

tastes bloody good to me and Im not worried about eff. I get consistent results batch to batch,

just not sure what style..if it fits a style...it would be..I can only get very limited supply of beer locally and it
makes it hard to sample the different styles for comparison.

stats wise I'd day it probably fits into dortmund export, but it all comes down to how it tastes.

Thats for the BJCP guidelines, I can't load the AABC ones ATM but I assumed they're similar.

Well theres a conicidence. I've just put down one that was 1kg munich, 2kg vienna with a bit of wheat and caramalt.I also had horendous efficiancy, only got 13L of 1044 wort. For reasons i dont understand efficiancy has been all over the shop. I suspect its all in the grind

not much diastatic power in those malts is my suspicion. How long ago were they milled?

Well theres a conicidence. I've just put down one that was 1kg munich, 2kg vienna with a bit of wheat and caramalt.I also had horendous efficiancy, only got 13L of 1044 wort. For reasons i dont understand efficiancy has been all over the shop. I suspect its all in the grind

Sure, blame the mill.

Most of my beers are made up on brewday style. That's what yours looks like to me.

The style guidelines are for judging comps, there's no reason that a beer you brew just to drink has to fit into a style.

not much diastatic power in those malts is my suspicion. How long ago were they milled?

:icon_offtopic: Speaking of diastatic power. A certain fellow who works at a well-known boutique bottleshop has been trying his hand at homebrewing, while ignoring pretty much all advice and not doing any research. I'm eagerly awaiting a taste of his last one, with four kg of chocolate malt as his base grain.

Actually the bloke lives down in the Shoia, maybe you could be a sport and hold his hand next time.

Back on topic. Yum Beer, do it again, record every step, detail everyt part of your process, and we will crack the reason why your efficiency (or your calcs) are all messed up.

surely if you use more chocolate malt you'll get more chocolate flavour??? hahaa.

Need to change my location, i haven't lived in the shia for years. But always happy to help out a fellow brewer.

:icon_offtopic: Speaking of diastatic power. A certain fellow who works at a well-known boutique bottleshop has been trying his hand at homebrewing, while ignoring pretty much all advice and not doing any research. I'm eagerly awaiting a taste of his last one, with four kg of chocolate malt as his base grain.

You are kdding, yes? :blink: :blink:

But always happy to help out a fellow brewer.

sadly, he knows more about beer than any of his customers, so assistance is never going to be accepted. nor will the internet ever be used to read up on basic concepts thoroughly. Im suspecting he thinks this approach makes him seem "Extreme" :rolleyes:

You are kdding, yes? :blink: :blink:

nope. the other day when i asked if he had tasted, it's sitll expected to have potential, despite being told by several experienced brewers where he had made his error. It' damn hard to stuff up on all grain beer, so hats off to him for that.

No idea why he hasnt even mentioned the OG.

Back