Help On Infusion Step Mash For Weizen Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
Okay .... so, I have a partial dunkelweizen that iw ant to do. The problem is, is that I am just doing infusion mashes into an esky.

I have been trying to get this right for a bit but it jsut isnt working out very well ... I always end up adding too much water.

I have of 3.2 kilos of grain that I want to use, and I need to get to rest temperatures of this

dough in 37c - 30 minutes
raise to 50c for 20 minutes
the raise to 63c for 60 minutes

Okay, fair enough - but usually, I use around 7 liters of water for a single infusion mash ...

What is the proper water ratio to use in this instance? I am thinkign something along the lines of tihs

dough in 37c - 30 minutes (water at 44c on mash-in to take it to 37) - maybe with 5 liters?
raise to 50c for 20 minutes - 1 liter of boiled water?
the raise to 63c for 60 minutes - another liter of boiled water?

But will those single liters of boiled water are never enough to raise the temp by that much? I have a feeling that my ratios are out, i usually end up with 8 or 9 liters in the infusion which i think is just way too much ...

So, can anyone help me with the correct ratios and procedure at all? OR something beter thna what I have? Thanks!

get yourself some brewing software.

I use promash and using a thermal mass for your tun of .3

5litres of 44deg water will get you to 37deg(ratio 1.56:1)

adding 1.73 litres of 99deg water will get you to 50deg(ratio 2.1:1)

adding 2.85litres of 99deg water to that will give you 63deg(ratio 2.99:1)

Though 63 seems a bit low though.(might be ok being a partial)

What is the proper water ratio to use in this instance? I am thinkign something along the lines of tihs

dough in 37c - 30 minutes (water at 44c on mash-in to take it to 37) - maybe with 5 liters?
raise to 50c for 20 minutes - 1 liter of boiled water?
the raise to 63c for 60 minutes - another liter of boiled water?

Having only really done infusions myself not the greatest expert but I did a continious infusion ones and you started much thicker and I think the same principle applies.

Basically I believe you need to start with a much smaller amount of water to make a thick mash, then basically thin it out as you add more boiling water to end with your amount.

Have you tried something like beersmith or promash? Even with a partial mash it should give you step details with the breakdown you require...

edit: too slow. Damn work ;)

okay, i am using promash for recipe formulation, but i havnt used the mash scheduler on it before - im guessing this is a half hour crash course for me now .. the complex mash scheduler is a bit confusing for me atm haha (still in middle of first coffee of the day)

bugman, can you text dump the infusion schedule for me from promash so i can take a look at the settings you used and enter them in so I have an idea of what is what?

perhaps 3 liters in the final step will bring it up a little higher than 63 - im just going by what I am reading in last years issue of BYO which states that it should be mashed at 63 .. i believe because most weizens are quite dry - but you are right, as a partial it should be okay if im also using the LME.

thanks guys, much appreciated for you help.

mash.jpg

Also look at the few default saved mash schedules

i'd skip the 37C and dough in at 43C. There's your acid rest, then add boiling water (software will tell you how much, or just keep adding and stirring) to take you up to your 64-68C rest.
If you dough in thick and stir, you should fit that small amount in no worries.

i probably should ahve followed yor advice tnagent but i was half way into the frist rest before i read your post...

i well and truly stuffed it! hahaha

i couldnt hit 63 with the required amount of water ... it took me another two liters to get up there

unfortunatly, my poor little grumpys partial lauter tun i think only holds around 10 liters, and theres probably another few there that i wont be able to properly aluter...

unless i do it in a second batch - im also worried i didnt add enough rice hulls prior to the mash, i usually add a little more.

any suggestions? Can i leave the other bit in the mash tun whilst I lauter off what I can, then raise temp for the other half and then do that?

trust me to try to do something correctly to tradition!

edit: wait, i have an idea - could i lauter off the first portion .. then raise the temp, and use it as a decotion for the second smaller portion? would that help at all?

You dont need no stinkin rice gulls

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

once you fill your tun, if you want more heat, then it's time for a decoction (sounds scary bit a piece of piss, just takes more time)

Latest posts

Back