Help On Identifying Ingredient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
Guys,

There is a certain taste I have noticed in two diffrent brews - James Squires Amber Ale and also in Mountain Goat Steam Ale. It is a slight nutty flavour - very subtle in Steam ale and a bit more obvious in Amber Ale.

Hopefully someoen will undersatnd the flovour I am describing.

Not sure if this would be from specific hop or more likely a grain addition. I was thinking it may be a small addition a dark grain - but as Steam ale is very plae - woudl only be a smal addition?

Any suggestions

Difficult to ascertain as I have no idea what you're tasting nor how similar your descriptors would be to mine.

However nutty is usually associated with a grain.

I find biscuit and victory malts give nuttiness as do some varieties of Vienna (particularly German). Amber malt has been associated with nuttiness but I've never used it.

Yeh I would be leaning towards the amber malt for the nutty flavours in the James squire but it might also be the yeast used in the way of complimenting those nut/toast overtones.

Could be the peanuts you were eating at the time you drank them :D

Not that you would find it in MGSA, but I often notice a flavour I associate with peanut "skins" in beers with dark cyrstal in the grist. At higher levels it can almost seem like carob. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Latest posts

Back