Help needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
G'day fellas, yesterday I brewed a double batch of Oktoberfest pils, I had some people rock up just as I started which turned out to be very distracting!!!!! To cut a long story short, I f&@ked up and miss measured my grain by 1kg, therefore coming up low on my sg by 12 points and I didn't have any dme. My question is, can I add dme tomorrow as I couldn't get to a home brew shop today. I only pitched the yeast this arvo as I no chill

Cheers. Ps, purchased my ticket to anhc tonight!!!! Can't wait

Dangerous, but I guess you could.. could be a risk for contamination issues if your not very careful

As said above, im thinking possible dangerous however if I was to do it, id be boiling up the dme on the stove for 15mins and then cooling to pitching temp. This will throw your IBUs out somewhat though because you will now have a greater volume of wort.

Basically, keep everything sanitary and dont throw the dme into the fermenter hot and I think you should be fine.

happy to be corrected as I havent done it before.

Don't see why you'd have an issue so long as you follow good sanitary procedures. I've added multiple doses of boiled and cooled sugars to various brews before when experimenting without issue and used to add boiled and cooled LDME for bottling when I bottled. Never caused an infection.

Do make sure its boiled and cooled first (as above). Keep exposure to the air at a minimum (I used foil sprayed with starsan to cover the pot after boiling). any try to minimise spalshing when adding to the fermenter, although perhaps less of an issue during active ferment

Youll need to work out what DME to add to ensure you dont dilute the maltiness of the final beer but your LHBS should be able to steer you right.

Oh and I guess you know that you'll probably need less than 1kg of DME to replace 1kg of grain. not sure on the conversion though

As previous stated, if you watch santitation it's no problem. In fact if you're using a lager yeast in your okky (which I'd assume you would) it may even benefit from a day or two working at the lower SG. Don't be worried about splashing as you pour in the DME, it's only post fermentation that you really need to worry about that.

Thanks everyone. Was definitely going to boil first, yeah I am using a lager yeast. I split it into 2 fermenters and pitched one with white labs pilsner yeast and the other with white labs Oktoberfest lager yeast. Can you get pilsner dme? Anyone know a home brew store near Penrith as I'll be working there tomorrow

Isn't dex just sugar?

Not sure that much sugar into an Oktoberfest would leave you with an Oktoberfest. I'd go DME and ask your LHBS which 'flavour' DME to get closest to the Oktoberfest profile; would be a shame to compromise the beer

Yes you can add either - just boil first in solution and add gently. Don't know why anyone would think it's a drama. You could even mash the remaining kilo of crushed grain, boil and add that in. Boil and don't splash, cool if the volume will raise temp significantly after adding.

You can get specific extracts (eg pils, mu ich, etc) which are made by weyermann and briess including pilsner. Weyermann is lme, think briess do both.

Was only thinking dex as it would bring the abv up a little but not really effect the taste

No dex. Use dme. Or briess make a really light LME. That might be the go!

Absolute homebrew is in st marys and maybe the closest Homebrew store to penrith. I've only dealt with them over the phone not face to face but then seemed to know their stuff

Cheers, I went to country brewer this arvo and got 1kg of light dme. Any ideas how much to add for 44l at 1.040. Also how much water?

G'day ChopDog

If you really want to do it, I'd say the entire kilo (that will take it up about 10 brewers points in 44 litres). May I suggest you dissolve it in the minimum amount of just boiled water as possible with a whisk, place the lid on the saucepan, and cool in a sink of cold water. Then pour it into the FV. Start with say, 1.5 litres of boiling water and see how you go.

How'd you work that out antiphile? May help other brewers and OP in future if they run into the same dramas.

100g of DME into 1L of water gives a gravity of approx. 1.040 (this is the rule of thumb brewers use to make up a yeast starter).

Therefore, with a bit of maths you will find that if you added your full 1kg into 1L of water you would get a gravity of 10x 1.040 which is 1.400. You arent actually adding to 1L of water though, you are adding it to 44L, therefore your gravity would be 44x less. Your answer is a gravity of 1.009.

The rough formula would look something like this:

(Grams of DME) ÷ 100 ÷ (litres of water) x 40

danestead said:
100g of DME into 1L of water gives a gravity of approx. 1.040 (this is the rule of thumb brewers use to make up a yeast starter).
Therefore, with a bit of maths you will find that if you added your full 1kg into 1L of water you would get a gravity of 10x 1.040 which is 1.400. You arent actually adding to 1L of water though, you are adding it to 44L, therefore your gravity would be 44x less. Your answer is a gravity of 1.009.
The rough formula would look something like this:
(Grams of DME) ÷ 100 ÷ (litres of water) x 40
He's adding to 44l of wort not water

chopdog said:
Cheers, I went to country brewer this arvo and got 1kg of light dme. Any ideas how much to add for 44l at 1.040. Also how much water?
Did you use software to design the recipe? If you did edit it to delete for the 1kg of grain you forgot to add and then add the DME to the recipe until you get back to the expected OG you were aiming for originally. If you don't have software, IIRC about 750g of DME is equal to about 1kg of grain but it depends on the grain and DME

Blind Dog said:
He's adding to 44l of wort not water
Ahh I see. Itll increase the gravity by 9 points then, minus a small amount because of the dilution of the wort due to the water he boils the DME in.

Back