Help Need Urgently

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
Guys i have just built a new setup which consists of a 320L chest fresser set at 3.5 deg, 2*3 tap fonts, and a six outlet gas manifold. I have just got everything up and running but when i pour a beer it just comes out froath, i have even tried without the gas on and it still drips froath. I have checked that my kegs aren't frozen, every different tap but still cant figure it out??????

any ideas????

You may have over carbonated your kegs.

Take your kegs out, let them warm up to room temperature, then let the gas out of the relief valve. Then read the wiki article on balancing your keg draught system.

^^^ the above, and also more information about the taps and line.

- What taps are you using?
- what diameter line
- How long is the line

carbed the kegs the same as i always do 48hrs at 220 (country brewer method)
taps are just your standard brumby taps.
lines are 6mm and are approx 1.5 m long

Was actually just reading thru that. Im thinking it maybe that I some how over carbed as I tried a older half empty keg and managed to get a decent beer. I guess there is a first for everything

Are your fonts chilled? If not the beer will heat up on its way out, gas comes out of suspension and turns beer to foam. Have you tried a coupkle of pints after each other through the same tap?

Cheers

carbed the kegs the same as i always do 48hrs at 220 (country brewer method)
taps are just your standard brumby taps.
lines are 6mm and are approx 1.5 m long

Don't know the details but It may be that you are supposed to put that pressure in and not keep the gas connected. I can't think what 220 is in psi but it's probably meant to be an injection, not a continuous flow as the beer takes up co2.

and read the link posted above

Don't know the details but It may be that you are supposed to put that pressure in and not keep the gas connected. I can't think what 220 is in psi but it's probably meant to be an injection, not a continuous flow as the beer takes up co2.

and read the link posted above

I would say that is Kpa ??

Are your fonts chilled? If not the beer will heat up on its way out, gas comes out of suspension and turns beer to foam. Have you tried a coupkle of pints after each other through the same tap?

Cheers

yeah i did try that and still no luck.Im degassing 3 kegs now and ill see what happens then

I would say that is Kpa ??

Yep kpa, this is how I have carbed over 100 brews and never had a problem. The only difference I can think of is that I carbed 3 kegs at the 1 time with my new manifold

Yep kpa, this is how I have carbed over 100 brews and never had a problem. The only difference I can think of is that I carbed 3 kegs at the 1 time with my new manifold

i'd say its more than likely your lines are too short - not that you've over carbed your beer. 1.5m of 6mm ID lines sounds waaayy to short. You'll either need longer lines, and/or a smaller ID line.

Degassing your kegs will get you drinking quickly now - but you'll end up with flat beer once the disolved CO2 comes out in the keg due to the lower pressure.

I agree with Glen W here. As a rule of thumb if you have 6mm diameter line you need that many metres of line or at least a large fraction of that. If you don't have a flow controller you will end up with nothing but froth with 1.5m of line.

You may have over carbonated your kegs.

Take your kegs out, let them warm up to room temperature, then let the gas out of the relief valve. Then read the wiki article on balancing your keg draught system.

Your getting heaps of advise here, but I agree with phoney, at least take one keg out and let it return to room temperature. I leave the relief valve open straight away it's not going to get infected as you have got mobs of C02 in there.

+1 you will most likely need either 4 - 5 metres of beer line per tap or a flow controller. or possibly lower your serving pressure as a temp fix....

Or switch to 5mm ID line (2M) or even 4mm ID line.

I get what you guys are saying about the length of line as it was my first thought also, my previous set up was a bar with a 3 tap font and I kept the kegs in a fridge approx 2m away and never had a problem thats why im so ******* confused

I get what you guys are saying about the length of line as it was my first thought also, my previous set up was a bar with a 3 tap font and I kept the kegs in a fridge approx 2m away and never had a problem thats why im so ******* confused

Any chance your kegs are getting colder or colder faster in the chest freezer, allowing more co2 to absorb? I've had kegs freeze when lagering in a chesty, at the same temp setting (on the same controller) as a kitchen fridge.

Latest posts

Back