Help Me Pimp My Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
Okay guys ...

I bought myself a nice two tap font from craftbrewers, and now just have to install the thing. Thing is, I'm NOT mechanically inclined and wouldnt reallyy have a great ide ahow to go about this - especially with the type of freezer that I have converted

Its an old Malleys .. cant drill holes through the side for anything, as its got stainless steel on the inside .. the pics are below. What I want to do, is secure it to the top - BUT ... there are electrics int he lid and it is completely sealed so I cant see exactly where they are ..there is, however, the ability to - un-plug the electrics that go into the top, I ust dont know if this will affect the temp operation of the freezer or not (it goes to a "fast freeze/on light).

Heres the pics. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Atm Im thinking of disconnecting the electrics altogether, and jsut securing it with bolts bolted to the inside of the fridge, but not having really done this before, you guys may have a better suggestion.

Pics of the freezer/tap below ...

freezer1.jpg

where the wire goes into the lid. lid cannot be opened up.

freezer2.jpg

brand name of the freezer.

freezer3.jpg

whole freezer - wish i could run the gas through the side but its all got stainless inside it ...maybe through the top or jsut leave it through the seal.

freezer4.jpg

this is a pic of the lid electric cable - notice how it can be disconnected? I havnt tested it but I wonde rif I can jsut discnnect it, leave it all electrcal tapped up and it wont stop the fridge from working ... guess i should check that hey.

freezer5.jpg

this is the tap font i have

freezer6.jpg

.. hpefully ill be having a friend graffiti this all up to make it look schmick before putting it inside :)

i dont know much about chest freezers but with a fridge if u pull the seal back that seals the door shut therez a few screws to undo that hold the face plate on. Undo these and have a look where the wires are.

Dont forget to unplug it lol

Hope this helps :)

thanks mate - alas, I did that and the entire thing is completely sealed. argh. frustrating to be honest, would of been easy if it hadnt of been like that ..

Unhook the wire and leave for a few days and see if anything happens. My bet is that its solely there to power the 'fast-freeze' switch and on light, in which case you won't miss it because you'll be using it as a keg fridge and not a deep-freezer. I would think drilling through/into the lid will be fine - albeit a bit of a gamble as to whether or not you hit the power cable to said lights.

If you're really concerned, try going down to the local hardware store and asking for a live-wire finder. These detect current going through cables in things such as walls. Have a chat with the guy down there about what you want to use it for and what it will perform like. This may be an expensive option though, so I'd say just drill it and hope for the best.

EDIT: If you drill visualise a straight line going from where the cable goes in, to the lights/switch on the other side. Don't drill within say 15cm of this and you should be 95% fine.

Latest posts

Back