Help me identify this beer dispensing unit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
Anyone know more about it? Google searches turn up very little useful info. If it's a decent buy for $100 - $200 I'll grab it, looks like a good option for my new outdoor bar.

wqnajJQ.jpg

$_20.JPG

Sorry can't help with the unit but you don't often see telex numbers listed must be 35/40 years old but if it works, you might want to check the refrigerant some if the old ones are not available. Could be worth $100 for the taps and bits but.

Hmmm.. 30+ year old product, vendor no longer produces it and assumedly considers it an antique. Probably guzzles electricity and when it goes pop, I'll never be able to get it repaired.

Reckon I'll sit that one out :D Thanks all

I think you will find its an old Ice Bank chiller. Take the top off and there should be a plastic square bucket with a copper coil around the edge (on the inside, in the middle there should be two stainless coils where the beer is cools, right in the middle should be an agitator (little motor with a shaft and propeller).
Fill it with water (not ******* glycol -OK), turn it on, over an hour or two it should form a layer of ice around the outside (copper) coil, if the ice and the agitator works - run some beer through (or some seriously good line cleaner if it hasn't been used for a while).

These old units are built like the proverbial brick sh.. house. If they work, great worth about $100/tap, if not they make good boat anchors.
Mark

Thanks Mark. So you're saying if it works, it's likely to work for a while to come? Would a fridge tech at least be able to recharge refrigerant if there was an issue in that regard? If it's even slightly repairable it's better than not repairable at all.
Here's a photo of the top with lid off. That R22 sticker I guess means it contains R22 refrigerant, which is discontinued and very expensive from what Dr Google tells me.

$_20.JPG

There is a replacement for R-22,I don't know about the price tho.
Other than that risk of it melting down unrepairable, God know how long that will be, but for occasional use I think if its working it's a good punt.

There are two Andale stainless Flowryte taps and panel adaptors (over $100 ea new), a couple of good SS coils, gotta be at least $50, so it's not all that bad a deal.
Clean the condenser (brush and blow it out with CO2) oil the fan and agitator baring's if you can.
One quirk, when you fill it up, remember that ice takes up more room than water, it will probably overflow - just think about what's under it when you fire it up.
Is that its lead under your size 9's, should have date tested on it, worth noting
Mark

Looks like a good side table to match your fridge cabinet.....

R22 is still available and will be for some time, though quite expensive as you said - ~$250/kg list price, though there would not be a kg worth in there.

There are a number of replacements for R22 that are considerably cheaper but some need oil, seal, valve, etc. replacements so be careful of that - others can be just dropped in. Will see if I can find a price list for the drop ins.

What tony said. Some people have replaced r22 with propane but the seals etc can pass. I know a blokw that chanced hia vj commodore wit propane and it worked fine. But iam going off a very low sample group here of.......1!

mtb 1) do you realise that quite a bit of the unit isn’t stainless steel? 2) this could well be an addition that will sit with the non working glass door commercial fridge. 3) it’s near Xmas and the good lady will be expecting a substantial present that’s not brew related.
On the other hand the price seems fairly good.

mtb 1) do you realise that quite a bit of the unit isn’t stainless steel? 2) this could well be an addition that will sit with the non working glass door commercial fridge. 3) it’s near Xmas and the good lady will be expecting a substantial present that’s not brew related.
On the other hand the price seems fairly good.
Haha, I was wondering when you'd chime in..
1) I did notice that, some sort of non shiny material, no idea what it is.
2) I refuse to make a mistake like that again - my offer was contingent on the unit being fully tested. Seller told me it worked on last use "to the best of their knowledge", not gonna fall for that one!
3) the missus has an exceptional amount of lovin' on the way for her efforts in being generally super.

And 4), I've been good! No huge purchases for like.. Two weeks!

Just noticed something else.. on the first photo the label says "Electric carbonator and ice bank control". The hell is an electric carbonator?

I can't see any stainless coils in your picture? Normally the agi motor shaft would extend into the middle of a coil basket, but it looks like there is only nylon tubing coiled up inside. Heat transfer results would be unspectacular if I am correct.

The fact that the data plate contains the information that the ice bank control and carbonator level control are electric makes me think that this may once have been a post mix unit that has been "Frankensteined" into a beer chiller. I cannot see the carbonator in there anymore. The lid looks home made and may have been retro fitted when the snap lock panel adaptors were added to the unit.

It looks very much like an old Glenn Pleass postmix booster unit that was rebadged as a Kleer Kube. (Glenn Pleass were a South Australian company that were bought by Lancer and became Lancer Pacific, Now Hoshizaki Lancer.)

Thanks for the extra insight pnutapper. Sounds like I'd be better off just asking them to sell me the taps.. What's so special about them that they're worth over a hunj a piece?

Floryte taps are popular in the HB arena, not so much commercially any more these days. When I come across them, I rekit them and sell them for $40 each.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of them as they are spring loaded, and (in a commercial environment where staff don't give a shit about them) require constant adjustment as the tensile strength of the spring wears down.

Have you tried saving the pic? it is titled $20... I wonder if this is what the vendor paid for it?

Seller tried telling me they paid $1k for the unit second hand, so $250 is the lowest they'll go. And they're unwilling to test it first. I'll let it go thru to the keeper methinks.

Celli_4_coil.jpg

Apologies for the crap pic, but this is what an ice bank chiller for beer should look like. This is a 4 coil Celli unit with agitator / pump. I paid $1500 for it in October.

Back