Help Mash Temp Was To High.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Hi all had a brew day the other week and as things go when you have a audience. The mash was to high 69 and dropped to 68.5. I new it was a little to high. The beer started at 1.065 I dry hopped on day 10 and it was 1.020. Checked it to day day 13 and it is 1.028? Can dry hopping affect gravity? Was going to bottle some but kegs will have to do. Can I add dme to bring alcohol up as it is a big beer. It was a double batch with two different packs of us05 yeast both have read the same gravity readings. All thoughts and answers appreciated.

Hi all had a brew day the other week and as things go when you have a audience. The mash was to high 69 and dropped to 68.5. I new it was a little to high. The beer started at 1.065 I dry hopped on day 10 and it was 1.020. Checked it to day day 13 and it is 1.028? Can dry hopping affect gravity? Was going to bottle some but kegs will have to do. Can I add dme to bring alcohol up as it is a big beer. It was a double batch with two different packs of us05 yeast both have read the same gravity readings. All thoughts and answers appreciated.

Whoa, slow down. Back away from the fermenter.

Post the recipe.

At the time of mashing, you could have added some cold water to bring the temp back a tad. A lot of homebrewers wrongly believe that the enzymes are instantly de-natured when the tempersture is too high, I doesn't happen instantly and providing you get to it pretty quick you should e okay.

I think adding DME is a big mistake. If the beer is too heavy bodied and sweet and cloying, the best thing you could add is white sugar. This will bring the alcohol level up but also thin out the beer and take away any cloying sweetness - much like the Begians use sugar in their Trappists ales. Don't be afraid of sugar and don't be a purist.

As for gravity going up, sounds almost impossible, I can't think of a single reason why. I would put this down to taking wrong readings or some other problem with your measuring gear.

Steve

69 would be a perfect infusion temperature for most of the highly modified malts available to the Australian homebrewer.

Unless you used 30% crystal malt in the brew I suspect either a faulty gravity measuring device, a sudden reduction in the fermentation temperature or poor yeast health, or just wait another week and all will be fine.

tnd

13Kg bb ale malt
1Kg tf amber malt
500g crystal dark
500g carafoam

Topaz 40g @60
Columbus 30g @60,20
Cascade 30g@20,10
Simoco 30g@10
8g brewbright
Mash in 35l at 69-685
Mash out batch sparge at 90 with 15l +20l

Dry hop each fermenter
Cascade 30g
Columbus 30g
Galaxy 30g
Summit 20g

US 05 fermented at 18-20

What was the carafoam for? An all grain beer has no requirement for "foaming" malt

Re-read OP and noticed your gravity readings went UP???? Poor gravity measurement is the obvious answer

tnd

Just checked the hydro reading with water and it 1.000. I checked both fermenters both times as it was higher than usual and to make sure one ferment wasn't stuck. Will check again. Usually us05 does my beer in under a week.

1065 OG is a descent beer mate. Give it some time.

The beer started at 1.065 I dry hopped on day 10 and it was 1.020. Checked it to day day 13 and it is 1.028?

remember that your hydrometer is temperature sensitive.

brewmate has a hydrometer correction you can use. there are others out there too.

Going to give the twins a few days and let the temp rise to 24 to make sure all that can ferment is fermented. Before I go adding anything. Thanks for the replies. Will give a good research into upping the alc % and thining it out a bit. Maybe I read the hydro test wrong these hot almost summer days are calling for several beers after work.
Thanks Jameson

Latest posts

Back